engine compartment paint? gloss or semi-glosss black?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jvincig01

SILVER Star
Threads
my engine is out and i am about to run all new electrical. before i do that, i want to paint the engine compartment. nothing too fancy, just a nice rattle can job. a couple of questions...

1. do i use semi-gloss or gloss?
2. what kind of paint do you recommend?

my engine is out and i am about to run all new electrical. before i do that, i want to paint the engine compartment. nothing too fancy, just a nice rattle can job. a couple of questions...

1. do i use semi-gloss or gloss?
2. what kind of paint do you recommend?

If you must use black I'd recommend semi-gloss.

Gloss is easier to clean. The less of a sheen on the paint, the more difficult it is to get oily spots off of it.

mine is black, you cant tell gloss or semi once its been on the road for a while (IMHO). I wish the PO had NEVER painted it black, color matched to the body looks SO MUCH BETTER.

I think it should be body color. Is that not an option?

Last edited:
QUOTE="N919HJ, post: 9594561, member: 68330"]I think it should be body color. /QUOTE]
I agree. Whenever I see a different colored compartment I think YUCK. Dude, you have an opportunity most of us won't - the EASY way to paint that engine bay! I have read here that many paint suppliers will mix rattle cans to match a color. IMO you won't regret matching that body paint.

body color is an option but i have to rattle can it. fortunately, there is a good shop near me that can match my paint. I am just looking for something temporary until i have the cash to do a full paint job.

I've read ALOT of threads on Mud with the famous last words "Never expected it would take THIS long, but life got in the way."
In the meantime, you'll be glad you matched colors. Just saying...

What year is your cruiser ?

The early cruisers came a satin black under hood, lower fenders and firewall ... Stopped 64/65 sometime

image.jpg

I don't know, Johnny, can you rely on something with 'batttery' in it?

Well, there you go. No excuse now for doing the right thing!;)

Paint it what ever color you like, I mean it is under the hood. Black stays looking black in an engine compartment a lot longer then the body color. Mine is black, but it is suppose to be but I would have done it black anyways, I have a hard enough time washing my trucks no way I am going to worry about washing the firewall.

The PO on my fj40 did a paint job but didn't paint the compartment. I had to do a rebuild this year and decided to rhino line the inside as the colors were off. Not sure if you'd like the look but I really love it and the texture is sweet. Also it is very easy to wash and keep clean. I stripped out all old paint. Primered, two coats of rhino, and two coats of VHT heat resistant clear gloss.

1424192913759.jpg

1424192952433.jpg

Last edited:
The value of the vehicle drops when you use Rhino Liner or any product similar to it. Once rust starts underneath it like because you didnt get all the old rust off before coating it., you cant get a Rhino coating off to fix it. I never buy a vehicle that is Rhino Lined especially a classic like a Landcruiser.

The value of the vehicle drops when you use Rhino Liner or any product similar to it. Once rust starts underneath it like because you didnt get all the old rust off before coating it., you cant get a Rhino coating off to fix it. I never buy a vehicle that is Rhino Lined especially a classic like a Landcruiser.
Hmm you make a good point, wish I knew of that earlier. But I have no intend I'm selling. It's a spray on liner and it does come off with an aircraft stripper though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom