Engine Clatter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2004 Tundra 4.7, 369k miles. Just purchased from original owner and it seems to have been taken care of. I did go through and do all of the fluids and filters plus denso coils and plugs as they were all original. I am getting a light engine valve train “ clatter“under load When accelerating. Any thoughts? Do these engines ever need a valve adjustment when they get up there in miles?

I had the same noise on my old Lexus ls400 when climbing a hill.

Did the issue start after you did the work?

I have a 08 GX470 with the 2UZ FE w/VVT and it's always had a little clatter (though I'm scrutinizing it heavily after a recent mishap from an oil change)

From what I've read around the web, these engines rarely require valve adjustments, and louder than "normal" ticking is likely to be the exhaust manifold. If so the clatter will be louder towards the back of the compartment or on one side of the engine. A mechanic's stethoscope would come in handy. If it is that, then it's not an immediate problem, other than having a slight exhaust leak at the engine.

These top ends need little to no adjustment. This noise is usually related to pinging due to poor fuel or exhaust as muckitup described. Throw some O2s at it as well. With that mileage they're a maintenance item, and they can affect this issue.

The 4.7 also had serious exhaust manifold cracking failures that sound like a pinging.

The O2 sensor thing makes a lot of sense. I have heard what a cracked manifold sounds like and this is not that. Thanks guys and I will throw some O2 sensors at it down the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom