Engine clacking under load or up a hill (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, I've got a strange sound coming from my engine compartment while I am accelerating up a hill (or trying to maintain speed up a hill rather). It sounds like a clacking coming from the engine...almost as if something is rattling around in there, but only when I'm under load going uphill. As far as I know, the engine is in good shape. I haven't had any problems with it and it doesn't seem to affect performance. Anyone know what it might be? It's an 85 FJ60 for those who need to know.

The fan might be rubbing the shroud. When you increase the torque the engine twists in relationship to the chassis. Since the shroud is attached to the chassis and the fan is attached to the engine they can rub. This would be consistent with going up a hill where torque is increased--especially if you drop a gear.

if the fan was rubbing the shroud it would make the claking noise no matter what the situation- hills or not.

it could very well be pinging or detonation under load. I'd check your timing, perhaps put in some higher octane fuel and retard your timing a hair, see if it goes away. if it does, bingo you know whats up.

It can certainly be the fan--I had the exact issue. I'm not saying it isn't the engine, but it's always good to check the easy stuff first;)

true true. so were your engine mounts broken or loose? i have a hard time picturing the engine torquing enough to one side to hit the fan shroud.

At the very least there extremely old. I've got some carb and suspension projects coming up then I'm working my way to the engine and body mounts. I should also note I have an aftermarket fan that fits a bit tighter than the stocker.

I've since cut the fan down a half inch which fixed the symptoms, but perhaps not the disease (if an engine mount is broken.)

if youre alone you can check the engine mount( drivers side if fan is rubbing) easy by looking through the gap between the hood an body stepping on the gas. you will see the engine moving. if its subtle and your not sure put in gear with the e brake on and then give it a little gas. the motor will jump pretty good, just dont hit anything:beer:

I should also note I have an aftermarket fan that fits a bit tighter than the stocker.

:rolleyes:

explains why it was hitting the shroud.

mention of the EGR system is a good point too. im thinking timing - EGR check.. but if you do a Desmog you'll just eliminate that right out of the question :D

if the fan was rubbing the shroud it would make the claking noise no matter what the situation- hills or not.

not necessarily true. my drivers motor mount busted this weekend at Uwharrie going up a hill. It only caused fan to hit shroud when climbing in rough terrain or going over large rocks and stuff with lots of body sway. Flat ground or steady climbs that dont produce a lot of strain/torque on drivetrain do not produce ANY sound....

We tested by putting in reverse with parking brake on...nothing. Then did it in 1st gear same way and engine lifted up where fan would hit shroud.

I am ordering some motor mounts this week. You can see the driver one easy enough to verify. Passenger side is a bit more tricky though.

timing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom