Engine Blown...Need some advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

One of the things that got me in to doing swaps in the first place was building a truck that would last and be capable of DD duties including highway use well into the future. My OPINION is that the 6cyl, any of them in the 60/62/80 was not enough for the vehicle.

I will state again that this is OPINION. There is only one decent source for rebuild parts on the OEM motors and that is Toyota. The cost of rebuilding one right is north of $5K. Add labor to that if you don't wish to do the job. A pull out 5.3L Vortec swap runs north of $11K in parts the way I do them. It can be done far cheaper if you keep things like radiator, gauges and fuel lines etc.

The logic for me is that the LSX series of motors is so well supported that you can build one from the ground up with aftermarket parts. There are parts for them in every parts store in the country and a wrench in every town that can work on them. This will carry on long into the future.

I hear this a lot from "purist" types "I like to take it sow and see the scenery as I drive through it" I can not argue with that, I feel the same way. My response is generally along these lines " I agree with you, I like taking it slow and seeing the scenery as well, but I also like getting on an interstate at speed with traffic and being able to pass a guy at 65 MPH. I can slow down and see the scenery too" :)

It all comes down to how you wish to use your vehicle and how much you wish to invest in it. Invest being the key word. Whether you rebuild or swap you still have an appreciating asset, at least in today's market, that new Tahoe (think motor donor :) ) will lose half it' value in 3-4 years.

I'm happy we have the choice!

About a month ago I spun a bearing on my 1986 60 and it too seized. It totally sucks so I know how you feel!

I was quoted $8000 for a rebuild. I couldn’t stomach that! I looked at used 2F’s and the best I could find for a good running engine with 150k on it was $2000+ shipping.

I almost bought it but my concern was that I’m inheriting another persons potential problems. Just like your truck that you thoroughly checked out but then this happens so what to say it won’t happen again wth the other 2F you drop in. Also, I had just rebuilt my head about 500 miles before this and that would have been down the drain if I didn’t use it.

So I talked to a very generous cruiser friend who had a 2F sitting on a pallet in his garage. He offered to give me his block, we would rebuild it, put my newly rebuilt head on it and then I give him my old block. What a deal!

So that’s what I’m doing. My best guess is I’ll be all out for $2000-$2500. And I’ll have a 100% completely rebuilt 2F.

I’ll be posted progress on my build thread (link in my signature line) if you want to follow along. Good luck with it and keep us posted!

My 2F had 243K miles, ran great but it was time to upgrade. Wanted power but more fuel economy for sure. Thought about V8 swap but didn’t capture my interest like the diesel swap. Started looking at the Toyota diesel or Cummins 4BT or 6BT. Liked both however I own a dodge and love Cummins motors. Parts are readily available so I went that route. Started looking for donor motors. Wanted a running motor I could drive. Searched months or more just casually looking. A 1997 freight liner step van finally came up and went and drove it. Talk about power in a 12,000 pound vehicle. Ran great, no smoke issues or noise of concern. Bought it and been working on it since mid January. Was able to see the stepvan, transmission, my 2F motor and transmission, carburetor, and miscellaneous parts. I have bought a lot of new parts, battery, alternator, starter, water pump, radiator, rebuilt NV4500 transmission but all said and done I hope I’m below $10,000. After the cost of the stepvan and what I sold the 4BT motor was $1900. I still have a couple thousand cash from the stepvan to help offset cost from the wife...:rofl:
We all have our own opinions. Hopefully we can help ya make yours.

My 2F had 243K miles, ran great but it was time to upgrade. Wanted power but more fuel economy for sure. Thought about V8 swap but didn’t capture my interest like the diesel swap. Started looking at the Toyota diesel or Cummins 4BT or 6BT. Liked both however I own a dodge and love Cummins motors. Parts are readily available so I went that route. Started looking for donor motors. Wanted a running motor I could drive. Searched months or more just casually looking. A 1997 freight liner step van finally came up and went and drove it. Talk about power in a 12,000 pound vehicle. Ran great, no smoke issues or noise of concern. Bought it and been working on it since mid January. Was able to see the stepvan, transmission, my 2F motor and transmission, carburetor, and miscellaneous parts. I have bought a lot of new parts, battery, alternator, starter, water pump, radiator, rebuilt NV4500 transmission but all said and done I hope I’m below $10,000. After the cost of the stepvan and what I sold the 4BT motor was $1900. I still have a couple thousand cash from the stepvan to help offset cost from the wife...:rofl:
We all have our own opinions. Hopefully we can help ya make yours.

Few years back I was on the verge of buying a Chevy pickup with a running 350 TBI and a blown tranny. A sickness in the family changed my life direction considerably so I didn't follow through on that. Looked at the 5.3 LS and from everything I hear and read once the electronics are ironed out they are a great swap into just about anything. After buying an '01 Dodge Cummins and inheriting a '91 Dodge Cummins it is my opinion that the 5.9 is the best engine ever stuffed into a light truck. When the '91 got to the point of needing several thousand in repairs my decision was made to stuff the 12V in my 60 with CA emissions that I was tired of dealing with.

Short term I figure the swap was more expensive than a desmog of the 2F would have cost. Long term I have vastly better power, mpg, and parts availability in a truck I wouldn't hesitate to drive anywhere.

As I said before it depends on what you want in the end and how much you are willing to spend on an old SUV. I had to rent a new Ford Expedition a couple of years back and didn't care for it at all - and it retailed for around $70k. Makes my swap look cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom