Engine Block Rust and Paint (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

shipmag

Hagler Technology LLC. Aka Shipmag
Threads
I had my engine rebuilt and the shop didnt put any thing on it yet because I had left it outside for a long time and its got rust on the side. Most of the rust oxide compounds are only good for 200 degrees. I was wanting to know what others have used to treat the rust and paint over that with what kind of paint.

I was going to use POR15 but with the adhesion problems I had I am no longer going to ever use that product again.

Get the rust off with metal prep (phosphoric acid) and then hit it with a good epoxy paint.

I had my engine rebuilt and the shop didnt put any thing on it yet because I had left it outside for a long time and its got rust on the side. Most of the rust oxide compounds are only good for 200 degrees. I was wanting to know what others have used to treat the rust and paint over that with what kind of paint.

I was going to use POR15 but with the adhesion problems I had I am no longer going to ever use that product again.

Rust will come off an iron block easily. I used a new wire wheel and got it completely clean than used Rustoleum high temp engine primer followed with a couple of coats of semi-gloss black. Looks perfect.

After wire brushing, I have used Duplicolor self-etching green primer, then follow up with Duplicolor engine paint with ceramic. Holds up really well.

I always wipe things down well with lacquer thinner after the phosphoric acid has done it's thing.

I still have some por metal prep left so I will put it on then the dupoint epoxy paint. Thanks Spotcruiser wasnt sure if you could use the epoxy over the phosphoric acid

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom