Engine block coolant drain question #4528 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The original fuel pump is mounted in front of the oil filter down low on the passenger side lower section of the motor.

Your aftermarket carb is fed by a non original electric fuel pump mounted inside the tank or on the frame.

Post up a few pics of passenger side of your motor. Maybe we can see if the original fuel pump is disabled.
Sure! Here are a couple. The dead fuel line bypasses the original pump (that’s the metal line above the pump). The fuel line that feeds the carb does look to run through that pump. Thanks again!
5D040274-A06D-418A-9564-C7CF09EF7988.jpeg
5A5FD659-FE53-4288-AB51-7A837652312E.jpeg

That metal hockey puck shaped thing forward of your oil filter is your fuel pump. It is not a Toyota pump. The line coming off the front of it goes up and over the engine.

FYI here is what a stock pump looks like:
1600435977953.png
and it would be mounted in the same position.

Since the mechanical fuel pump is feeding the carb, you should

1. while the engine is cold, unplug the bolt from the fuel line hold it over a mason jar and have someone crank the motor.

2. unplug the coil wire so the motor doesn't start. you are just trying to see if that other line has pressure from another pump.

3. if no fuel comes out simply remove the fuel hose and just leave the metal line. Disconnect the fuel hose from that same metal line on the passenger side and plug the hose on that side. Leaving the metal line empty.

Last edited:
What kind of carb do you have? It's possible that it requires different pressures that the stock carb/fuel pump. Looks like a pressure regulator in front of it in the line. Maybe someone here who has the same carb can chime in, or knows about that type of fuel pump.

Actually what @Spino has on his truck is indeed a Toyota fuel pump. Looks exactly like the OEM pump on my 40.

Why he has a 40 pump on his 60 is anyone’s guess. And I’m not sure about his carb, but my WAG would be a Weber. Just a guess tho.

Okay I’ve been going through the archives on the forum, and I feel relatively sure I’ve found the drain for the engine block to do a coolant drain/flush. But all the photos I’ve seen look a slightly different. So I just wanted to be sure.

This weird square bolt below the header that’s farthest back, driver’s side. This is it right? Photo was taken looking up from beneath the engine.

Patient is an ‘84 FJ60 with 2F engine. Thanks!

View attachment 2436116
Remember, most socket sets have special sockets for square heads of this kind. The sockets themselves look to have a star shape to them. Try one and you'll see what I mean.

Remember, most socket sets have special sockets for square heads of this kind. The sockets themselves look to have a star shape to them. Try one and you'll see what I mean.
The elusive 12-point socket 😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom