engine and gearbox match (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Dear Fellows
I am new in ih8mud. I have '83 BJ46 JDM Spec. My plan is to swap the 3B to a smaller engine and swap H55F to an automatic gearbox. Is there a kind of list or someone who can tell which engine can be married with which automatic gearbox?
Thank you in advance.
Great weekend to all of you.

What for? Smaller? 🤯 Install turbo to that 3B and let it run.

P.S. There is a transfer case after the gearbox which you have to get dealed with too if you are changing it.

P.P.S. Sell the BJ and buy some other automatic small engine SUV.

Hi Matti
Thank you for your reply and suggestions.

Here is my plan...(at least the plan in theory).
Les say that: Engine + Transmission + Transfercase = Power unit

Engine: 3+1 main reasons of many to change:
1) I live in Turkey. Here in Turkey, the fuel (gas and diesel) is sooo expensive. Since I want to drive her everyday, I want to be driving a smaller engine to save from fuel expenses.
2) In my country, government charges "motor vehicle tax" to the owners of the vehicles, based on the "how big the engine is" or in other words depending on the "displacement of the engine". If I swap the engine from 3400cc to 2400cc, that makes a huge difference concerning tax.
3) 3B is a bulletproof engine. I know it. But it so noisy, runs like a tractor engine and it is extremely hard to find spares and very rare to find a workshop where I can have it repaired or fixed it. On the other hand there are so many newer Toyota engine running around like on Hilux etc.
4) My wife doesn't like it that way. (I wrote last but I think this is no:2 reason)
The engine in my mind is 2LT or 2LT-E

Transmission:
H55F is a very solid and hard to brake transmission. But if I am going to drive her everyday (which I really want to), I would like to have a automatic transmission. (btw no highway driving...). By this way I don't have risk to lose my left leg on clutch pedal while I am in Turkeys jammed traffic and enjoy driving and surroundings during daily drive.
The transmission in my mind is A440.

Transfercase: I want to keep the one which already comes with H55F. Two reasons for that:
1) It has PTO out-put. That way I can keep my factory PTO winch (which I am in love with)
2) BJ46 V has a knob on dashboard, which allows me to make selection between H2 and H4 electrically and mechanically(which I find cool) but not electronically, which I am not a fan.

So the plan is: ( 2LT or 2LT-E ) + ( A440 ) + Transfercase I already have.

What do you say?

Best regards

I have a A440F in a FJ62. Besides robbing power it also cuts down on fuel efficiency. Trying to get better mileage manual transmission is the best option. Does your BJ42 have lock out hubs? If not would install them.

She is a BJ46 but yes, she has. What do you say about match between engine-transmission-transfercase? Mechanically posssible? Or do you know someone I could consult?

Hi Jim
Thanks for reply and participation.
I really want to keep it as Toyota.
King regards

The BJ46 is rare. If your ever thinking of selling it to somewhere like the US for big money consider it can only be imported with the original engine. Not sure your ever going to be happy in a heavy Land Cruiser will a smaller engine and a automatic. Wouldn't expect things to lighten up with the government either. In Europe see many HJ60s being parted out in some countries because it's too expensive to keep them registered. A trend I don't seeing changing direction any time soon.

The BJ46 is rare. If your ever thinking of selling it to somewhere like the US for big money consider it can only be imported with the original engine. Not sure your ever going to be happy in a heavy Land Cruiser will a smaller engine and a automatic. Wouldn't expect things to lighten up with the government either. In Europe see many HJ60s being parted out in some countries because it's too expensive to keep them registered. A trend I don't seeing changing direction any time soon.
My intention is to be burried with it. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom