Engel/Norcold DC plug problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cbmontgo

SILVER Star
Threads
The DC cord for my MT-60 fridge that I just bought from Engel USA seems to have stopped working (worked fine for a few minutes). The outlet is getting power, and the fuse looks to be intact. Fridge works perfectly on the 110 plug.

Any ideas?

if you didn't already mean the outlet / end of the cord itself, you might want to check if you get voltage at the end too?

Order replacement fuses from Engle USA, Jupiter Florida, your warranty is void without them. Trust this one I speak from experience, I have 2 Engles, and both have eaten their fuses.

Order replacement fuses from Engle USA, Jupiter Florida, your warranty is void without them. Trust this one I speak from experience, I have 2 Engles, and both have eaten their fuses.

Wow, that is a strange warranty practice. Could you just keep the original blown fuse and send it back with that installed.

Does their fuse actually have their name on it? What a load of...

I don't think it's a true fuse. It's a fuse that's also a diode so it's impossible to get the positive and ground reversed. In fact, if hooked up reverse polarity, it blows the fuse. That said, I cut mine off and installed powerpoles which is a much better connection than the 12v plug.

Anyway, check your wiring and make sure it's correct.

I don't think it's a true fuse. It's a fuse that's also a diode so it's impossible to get the positive and ground reversed. In fact, if hooked up reverse polarity, it blows the fuse. That said, I cut mine off and installed powerpoles which is a much better connection than the 12v plug.

Ahh, sounds like they forgot to design in a polarity protection diode in the unit and we all get to pay for it. Sweet.

Powerpoles are the way to go but I guess you void the warranty.

I burned my last fuse on the way to Death Valley due to a extension wired wrong. I ended up using tin foil and a temporary fix. I wouldn't do this unless you know what caused the fuse to blow.

Do you have pictures of you PowerPole setup?

Looking for some ideas on what to do with mine.

D'Animal,
For the rear cooler plug, I'm currently still using a Marinco locking lighter plug set-up. Ours is dialed in now so it doesn't vibrate loose. I installed it in a plastic electrical receptacle box recessed in the right rear cargo panel. I plan another PowerPoles install back there next to it using the double paired PowerPoles outlet designed to fit the standard home receptacle box. The guarded switch tells you if power is on and the LED turns green on the plug when it is.

Then there's my location up front for a single set of paired PowerPoles that I use for my CPAP when camping. You'll also note by the location of the tape where NOT to cut a hole to mount it.:eek:

I'd obviously take a bit more care hacking things with the correct tools in the rear panel the next time. I was going to dress it up, but no one looks at it except in embarrassing online pics anyway. In both cases, you know there's room in there to fit in your new electrics.

PowerSocket1.jpg

PowerSocket2.jpg

PowerpolesInstall1.jpg

I've been using the DC plug that came with the Engel since '03 w/o a single issue. I'm using a Marinco receptacle and it does seem to hold on to the plug better.

Good to know about the fuse, haven't blown one yet and I think there's a spare one that came with the Engel that's sitting in the transit bag storage pocket.

Last edited:
Just to follow up on this thread...Engel is sending me a new fuse for my MT-60 at their cost.

I installed two Blue Sea 12V DC receptacles earlier this year before Moab and have had no issues with the DC plug falling out or getting loose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom