Engel / ARB fridge, anyone modified to do constant temp? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking at getting a Engel / ARB fridge...as best I can tell the setting on the unit is a duty-cycle setting, just how much you want the compressor to run. Not an actual temperature setting, keep it there, etc. So you set it to say 2 and it cools to say 34 degrees, but if it's in a 110 degree car that same setting of 2 may only give you 39 degrees, etc...

Curious if anyone knows of anyone who has modified the design to allow setting to a specific temperature and having it keep it there?

The (Engel premier but in the US known as the ARB model) has a built-in thermometer, which is a step in the right direction...it would take some figuring out, little bit is disassembly, some sort of user interface and all that, but being able to set a temp would work alot better...IMO...curious if anyone has done that..

-Mark

Set the fridg at #2 and if it reaches the proper temp for you leaving it on the #2 will yeild the same results as a thermom. The internal temp will stay the same no matter the exterior temp. Did you happen to see the review posted here a few days ago about the Ausi test? The fridges were place at temp and the external temp was raised and the units cycled a bit more but internal temps remained the same. The numbered knob acts the same as your home refer numbered knob. Set it and it stays. The knob on the Engel or ARB does not control duty cycle it controls temp.

Set the fridg at #2 and if it reaches the proper temp for you leaving it on the #2 will yeild the same results as a thermom. The internal temp will stay the same no matter the exterior temp. Did you happen to see the review posted here a few days ago about the Ausi test? The fridges were place at temp and the external temp was raised and the units cycled a bit more but internal temps remained the same. The numbered knob acts the same as your home refer numbered knob. Set it and it stays. The knob on the Engel or ARB does not control duty cycle it controls temp.
I did see that comparison..but I guess I didn't fully understand the test they were doing...that's interesting (and cool)...so apparently on the fridge the settings are more or less temperature settings, just don't tell you what temp, but it will up it's own duty cycle to maintain some preset temperature...very cool..

Thanks!

-Mark

Not exactly. Since the ARB knob is a mechanical sensor, it is susceptable to outside temperature variations. In other words, the 2 setting might yield 35F in the fridge on a 80F day, but 40F in the fridge on a 105F day.

When you turn the knob, it clicks on/off just like an old thermostat, that's all I know! Of course, my Norcold is pretty old. :)

Not exactly. Since the ARB knob is a mechanical sensor, it is susceptable to outside temperature variations. In other words, the 2 setting might yield 35F in the fridge on a 80F day, but 40F in the fridge on a 105F day.
Hmm...well that's what I first thought...but in the Aussie test did the fridges actually work harder to keep at a certain temp? That would imply it could sense the absolute interior temp..not just the sense the temp difference from inside to outside...

Guess I'll just have to buy one and reverse engineer the whole thing... :D

I used a electronic thermostat when I had my ARB, and the interior temp does vary with the external temperature.l

or just buy a Norcold or Waeco fridge with a digital temperature gauge.

Well that's what I'm trying to figure out...just because some have a digital temp gauge doesn't mean the electronics of the fridge actually use that info for anything. The ARB one has a electronic display showing you the current temp also...but when you set the dial, you aren't specifically setting any temp...maybe you are setting some sort of ambient - X temperature, but still something that will vary with ambient temp...so I think the internal-temp digital display is purely for convenience so you know how cold it is in there...

Now I realize most couldn't care less about keeping it at a set temp, just as long as no food spoils and no pop/beer freezes then all is well...but seems like being able to set a temp and have it keep it there would be the natural progression of the unit...with not alot of electronics you could make it monitor the current temp, display a set-point automatically raise/lower it's cooling power (effectively like turning dial more when it's needed), etc...

Last edited:
Nice improvement on the Waeco. I have the previous model and it doesn't have the temp readout/controller. Makes me want to get a newer one!

Great find...I like the Waeco units...looks like most of their dealers are RV centers, which I'm guessing would have to order a portable fridge like these, may have some built-in units instock, but doubt these...cool...

Waeco units are also sold at West Marine, a boating accessory super store. My local West Marine stocks the Waeco portable (not built-in) fridges.

Last edited:
Well son of a gun...was looking around tonight and in another thread someone mentioned bigfrogmountain.com had good prices for the Engel units...they do, kinda...but what was interesting is how the description was worded:

"The Engel MT45 Large size, Commercial. This unit has a 43 qt. Capacity (60 soda cans). Two tone grey Powder Coated Steel exterior is built to last under rough conditions. This 100% CFC-Free refrigerator/freezer is world famous for durability. Rated #1 in Australia and now available in the USA. Over 3-million units sold world-wide. The efficient compressor, the Engel 'Swing' compressor, was first invented in Germany over 39-years ago. The compressors are now better than ever - they are quieter and more efficient than their predecessors. This unit can be used as a refrigerator or freezer, with amazingly fast freezing. Thermostatically controlled with a variable thermostat (40 to 0 degrees F.) these units will run from your 12-volt DC cigarette lighter plug, 24-volt DC or 110-volt AC. Power consumption 0.7-2.5 amps. Inside dimensions are 15.4" x 10.8" x 16.4", outside dimensions are 25.5" x 14.3" x 20", weight-52.9 lbs. 9-ft. detachable cord. Regularly $911.00 currently on sale for a limited time...With Free freight to addresses in the lower 48 States!"

Sooo...that sounds like you are basically setting a temp, though it just doesn't show what temp you are setting it too... :confused:

Hmmm

I'm very surprised at how well the Engel maintains the temp regardless of outside temps. I've set the knob on 1.5 and got a 36º readout on the indoor/outdoor thermometer (while the interior of the vehicle was around 123º). As stated above, I don't think there is a true PID control loop built into the fridge but it does have a rudimentary feedback loop of some sort. Never have I complained about the fridge not cooling enough! If anything, it sorta does it too well and froze my pop and then couple of them exploded. That was on setting #2 so I haven't used it since!

Besides, considering the current draw, I'm not even gonna bat an eye over the duty cycle on that uber efficient swing motor.

Just take the plunge already...and grab your ankles for the price!!

IMHO you're overthinking this. When traveling i set it at 1.5. The knob is just like your refrigerator at home. If you want to keep a closer to exact temp put a thermometer in it and find where you like the knob set. If I want ice cream or cubes of anything frozen I keep it 2.5. If I have both ice cream sandwiches and food I keep it just under 2 and put the ice cream at the bottom.

The only time I saw a major fluctuation difference was when I left my cruiser windows rolled (no tint) in the sun in moab while I went out with someone else for the day. My stuff was still cold but not the usual I was used too. It had to be like 200 inside the truck. I bumped it to 2 for an hour or so and then that evening let it back down to 1.5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom