Ends of the Earth - Hurricane Sandy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I kinda wondered about that myself.

Johnny - You don't own me! I do whateva I want!

Thanks to everyone who contributed to the cause!

:lol: Apparently I didn't read that post before I submitted it. Fixed :D

As with "most" periodicals, they want "exclusive" rights to said photos. In previously documented events, some photos didn't get to be seen by the public until the publication date.

We have missed the content deadline for the Jan/Feb issue, so we have some time to develop something. I'm totally open as to how this adventure is documented and/or submitted for publication.

I/we can submit as a Chapter Report or anyone can write up and document for submission to Toyota Trails. Since I had no part, I'd take the notes and put something together. However, someone who was actually there, might be able to give perspective to the situation that I couldn't.

As with when Al submitted his tribute to Logan, I only helped with editing and facilitating the submission.

I'm open to either option. Just thought it was an effort put out by a handful of our club members that deserves some recognition...:clap:

Good points I hadn't thought of before. Thank you :D

How about Allen and I work on writing up an article, then we'll submit it for review. Sound like a plan?

Thanks man :D

Sounds good Johnny, let me know if I can help. I just wanted to be sure that if there was a reluctance to toot one's own horn then I am glad to do the tooting :).

I was delayed leaving this morning as some people from church donated money and I couldn't pick up a check until after 0900. In order to give enough time to get everything done and leave time to drive up the coast to check out damage, I'm leaving shortly to spend the night at my uncles in Lewes, DE. Then on the ferry to Cape May in the morning.

The blue goat is loaded and ready to go :)

Sounds good Johnny, let me know if I can help. I just wanted to be sure that if there was a reluctance to toot one's own horn then I am glad to do the tooting :).

I was delayed leaving this morning as some people from church donated money and I couldn't pick up a check until after 0900. In order to give enough time to get everything done and leave time to drive up the coast to check out damage, I'm leaving shortly to spend the night at my uncles in Lewes, DE. Then on the ferry to Cape May in the morning.

The blue goat is loaded and ready to go :)

Pics man, pics!!

Easy boy, here ya go. Ol Yeller is pouting in the background ;).

ForumRunner_20121119_145438.jpg

Johnny or Allen-
Where did you guys stop to buy stuff near AC? And what did you end up buying?
I'll be doing the same thing in the morning :).
In Lewes now; ferry to Cape May at 9am.

Johnny or Allen-
Where did you guys stop to buy stuff near AC? And what did you end up buying?
I'll be doing the same thing in the morning :).
In Lewes now; ferry to Cape May at 9am.

Shop-Rite in Aberdeen, MD, same place we caught a hotel.

Take lots of pictures!

Here's my most recent thought: Two trips, one article.

Yeah?

That was a test to see if the answer was Trump Taj Mahal ;).

Ok, I was hoping you bought stuff closer to AC; Aberdeen is across the Chesapeake from me now. I'll be able to find something.

Nah man, write your stuff. My trips gonna be boring- just me bouncing around in the 62 with my headphones on.
I will give you some pics to add if you want. I'm hoping to have some time to poke around and hit a few places along the coast to get a broader look at damage- LBI, maybe Seaside Heights.

I can take a crack at writing something up. Question is, like Jerry said, do we want this to be full article or just a chapter report?

Matt - They weren't letting anyone across the bridge to get to Seaside Heights when we were up there. Probably had something to do with the fact that it was only a couple hours til dark at the time, but I think it's residents or special permits only.

I can take a crack at writing something up. Question is, like Jerry said, do we want this to be full article or just a chapter report?

Matt - They weren't letting anyone across the bridge to get to Seaside Heights when we were up there. Probably had something to do with the fact that it was only a couple hours til dark at the time, but I think it's residents or special permits only.

Full article would be better. Like I said in my original post in BOD it may energize more people and clubs to get involved with EOE the next time around.

Thanks, you guys come across any other places like that?

Nah, only Seaside Heights was a problem getting to for us. Of course, we only went to AC and Seaside Heights.

Ocean City, NJ. Many businesses along Asbury and West Aves totally flooded.
A whole 40 or so unit apt complex flooded and empty on southern end.

ForumRunner_20121120_115738.jpg

ForumRunner_20121120_115814.jpg

South Atlantic City which is pretty poor had most houses with first floors gutted judging by endless piles on the sidewalk. At AC Rescue Mission. Sorry Johnny, no breakfast pics ;)

ForumRunner_20121120_131342.jpg

Just made the 6pm ferry back to DE. I delivered 4+ pallets stacked chest (my chest) high with clothes, blankets, gloves, hats, toothpaste, diapers, food, baby stuff, and a few other misc items to Atlantic City Rescue Mission. I drove thru Ocean City and Atlantic City, NJ and got some pictures of damage. Then I purchased and delivered 10 Thanksgiving "kits", each with: loaf of bread, pb/j, green beans, corn, cranberry sauce, stuffing mix, pudding mix, spaghetti, pasta sauce, cereal variety pack, and something else. Can't think of it now. Also with each I included a thanksgiving card with a $30 grocery gift card with a note that the gift card is for turkey, ham, potatoes, milk, etc with love from my church (which donated the money for it). Ocean County Hunger Relief in Toms River was extremely grateful and amazed that I had come all the way from VA to deliver it :). The kits together came to a few dollars short of $500. Will be home about 11pm or so :)

ForumRunner_20121120_183542.jpg

Well done Matt!

Good work buddy :D

This article we write needs to document both of our trips.

Good work buddy :D

This article we write needs to document both of our trips.

As far as I'm concerned, you should have plenty of material about the club collecting and you three taking it up there.

I'll send some pics of the other two trips (Larry and me); I think it's neat to mention that your trip was one of three taking relief to South and Central NJ. You know the stuff you brought, I added mine a few posts back, and Larry took a full bed in his dually, a 12' enclosed trailer, and (forgot earlier) a friend's 9 pass van full of stuff also to Toms River. A coordinated effort from eastern VA, central OH, and across NC!
And I can't remember if I mentioned that Seaside Heights is still closed off to anyone but residents and cops. Must be pretty bad there still, considering how rough OC and AC were. :frown:

I'll definitely mention all the trips and all involved. Matt, if you can PM me with everybody's names and email me some pics, that'd be a big help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom