Endless Air - 1HD-T (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

An endless air system is simple and reliable. I'd much rather leave the 12v compressor to run the lockers. I have a 18 litre air tank aswell. Not upto the endless just yet. But will definitely go that way.

I run the ckma12. And 4x35's from 12 to 35psi takes forever and it gets so hot it melts the hose. The ckma12twin is comparable to the endless air - but it's HUGE. I like simplicity.

An endless air system is simple and reliable. I'd much rather leave the 12v compressor to run the lockers. I have a 18 litre air tank aswell. Not upto the endless just yet. But will definitely go that way.

I run the ckma12. And 4x35's from 12 to 35psi takes forever and it gets so hot it melts the hose. The ckma12twin is comparable to the endless air - but it's HUGE. I like simplicity.

That ARB twin is probably the only electric compressor I would consider, but it's not cheap, and draws nearly 60A.

I have a big York on my 350 chevy in my Piggy. Very familiar with the performance. My Puma in the 80 series will fill up a 315 tire from 15 to 35 psi in about 2 minutes, 15 seconds. I don't really think that is very slow. About a dozen of us in the local CSC club are running them, and nobody has had a problem with them yet, after several years of use. Some of us make 30-40 days of wheeling per year, so that is a lot of tires to pump up. John

Your Puma will do the same thing in under 2 minutes with one of those worthless throttle lock;)

Funny you mention that, first time ever a few weeks back I used my hand throttle to idle up to about 1,700 rpm... and it blew my mind how much faster the Puma worked! Went from about 4 mins a tire (35 inch from 20 to 40 psi) to I swear less than 2 mins a tire. *cheers*

compressed CO2 is another route. works even if the engine doesnt... and none of that blasted noise. Air tools, tires, no problem,. Weld shops sell the gear and will refill all in all it will set you back about 100 bucks plus about 12 bucks a fill. down sides, when your out your out, hard to tell when its gonna happen. Refill costs put you close to feeding quarters into gas station machines. But fill 10x faster, when/wherever you want. now where to mount that blasted tank.... thats another one...

I like the looks of this one...I think this is a pic of the Endless Air setup.

1hzcompressor_zpsd1d58203.jpg

Thats a photo of my endless air setup. I made the bracket myself.

Cheers
Muz

Thats a photo of my endless air setup. I made the bracket myself.

Cheers
Muz

Any photos of the bracket??? I have my 1HD-T out of my truck right now, and a spare rotary A/C compressor sitting in the shop. Just trying to wrap my head around the strongest way to mount a proper bracket!

Semi finished bracket.

Air mounted

Air mounted again

The bracket mounts to the original A/C mounts and also bolts to the holes for the original belt tensioner. The A/c compressor is moved out towards the air box (I never undid the hoses so no need for regas etc) and the belt tensioner is now acting on the back of the fan belt with a larger diameter idler pulley to get enough tension on the belt to stop the belt from slipping when the A/C is running. It's quite sensitive to belt size and took a few attempts to get right, to be honest, but it's been on for a year or two now with no problems.

Sorry, those are all the pics I have of the setup.

Cheers
Muz

PS. The motor now in the car is a 1HDT and I used the same setup without modification.

PPS. The bracket is sandwiched between the engine block and the A/C compressor using longer bolts in the original bolt holes for the A/C compressor.

The A/C compressor needs to be moved out so the air compressor can sit low enough to clear the bonnet. I had to cut a small hole in the bonnet sound pad for clearance. It's all very tight.

On the up side, it works a treat and walks all over my brother's fancy new ARB compressor. I can pump up twice the number of tires in the same time and run air tools, all at little more than idle speed.

Cheers
Muz

the belt tensioner is now acting on the back of the fan belt with a larger diameter idler pulley to get enough tension on the belt to stop the belt from slipping when the A/C is running.

Do you recall what type of vehicle that new tensioner pulley was off?

Do you recall what type of vehicle that new tensioner pulley was off?

Sorry for that late reply. The pulley is off a Commodore, here in Aus, have a look on the Dayco (I think) website for their list of pulleys, looking at ID and OD, and go from there. That's what I did.

Cheers
Muz

There are supposed to still be at least one, perhaps two places (Endless Air and Air-on-Board were their names) that had commercially made mounting and air compressor kits for 4wd's including 80 series landcruisers utilising modified Sanden AC compressors.

I have this 12 v motor-driven compressor mounted on a custom-made shelf (got a mirror-image shelf on the RHS of the cargo space too) in the back of my diesel 80-series:

15304487754_47fab1e764_b.jpg

flickr page

It's from ABR Sidewinder (Derek Bester Automotive) who sells stuff through EBay and direct. Not sure if he's still selling these compressors. It's wired up to the aux battery with 100 amp rated twin cable and a pair of 120 amp anderson plugs at the front of the shelf so the wiring can be disconnected when I need to do DC work in the back.

Great unit, but tank is small. However it's a tough cookie.

Truck-style engine-mounted air compressor would be way better though extra load on my 80's 630k km 1hz motor isn't what I want at present.

Craig.

Ive been using an AC compressor for 14 years...The first one slowed down after being siezed 3 times (once was spray painting a trailer ) but would still kill anything electric.....I replaced it with a second hand one 12years ago and it hasnt missed a beat and runs every time i start the truck for the last 200,000 km.......
Its a factory 1pz pump , with a K&N filter on the suck side and an 8mm line too a truck air brake tank under the passanger side frame...I use a shop compressor pressure switch that comes on at 80psi and off at 110psi
I have air lines front and rear , run rattle guns ,tyre inflators , nail guns , and spray paint guns
I stuffed around with the first pump , trying thick oil , thin oil , grease and witch craft ...thats how i siezed the sucker.......they come good when they cool off
The new one (12yr ago ) got filled with 50/50 grease and oil , that mix blows strait through , from then on once every 6 months i pull off the K&N and squirt 3 shots of grease in the hole AND THATS IT !!
At 2000rmp it will keep up with the air duster , at idle it takes about 40 seconds too bring the wee tank up from 80 too 110 psi......
There is no way id stuff around with any thing else , its just so damn handy.....I raced offroad , mini motor bikes , and karts so having a reliable source of air is pretty important.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom