End the line for the Sub? Amp ok? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I'm pretty sure my ML rear sub is real dead. I re-foamed it, plugged it in and got absolutely nothing. Then tested for impedance and just get 0 or OL when I touch the speaker terminals, though I didn't disconnect them from the speaker wire in the box (box was out of truck though). Can I safely assume that this guy is completely toast? In more positive news, I did repair the other four speakers with very positive results.

Before I spend money on a replacement, is there a way to check that there is power and signal coming from the amp to the connector that hooks into the sub? I have a multimeter but am very much a newbie when it comes to using it or to speakers/audio systems. So if you have input feel free to dumb it down a good bit!

I'm attaching pics of where I tested and the reading I got, just to make sure I did it right. Also, I tested with the speaker flat on its back, it is just tipped up in the picture to show where I connected the multimeter. Thanks, I'm already quite indebted to this community!

IMG-3151.jpg
IMG-3152.jpg

Have you tried to push down on the woofer while music is playing to see if it works while you push it in? If it works you have a separated voice coil. I had this same problem when I bought my LX. I put a ML want ad in the classifieds, but no bites until after I bought a new one from Lexus. Oh, the subwoofer gets it's signal from the rear speakers, so make sure those are on when you do this test.

Have you tried to push down on the woofer while music is playing to see if it works while you push it in? If it works you have a separated voice coil. I had this same problem when I bought my LX. I put a ML want ad in the classifieds, but no bites until after I bought a new one from Lexus. Oh, the subwoofer gets it's signal from the rear speakers, so make sure those are on when you do this test

I tried that after repairing the sub but still didn't get anything from it. I ordered an aftermarket replacement and will give that a try as soon as that arrives. Hopefully it's just a dead speaker! Thanks for weighing in.

I can't speak for the sub but if you hear beeps when you push buttons on the dash and the rest of your speakers work, then your amp is likely OK.

If the amp ends up being ok, I'm selling a working sub out of a 2007 lx470 in the classifieds section. Good original foam and sounds good. Replaced my mark Levinson with an aftermarket setup.

I can't speak for the sub but if you hear beeps when you push buttons on the dash and the rest of your speakers work, then your amp is likely OK.
Those are all happening, I don't know enough about audio to know if an amp can ever just have one dead channel or something weird like that. Thanks

If the amp ends up being ok, I'm selling a working sub out of a 2007 lx470 in the classifieds section. Good original foam and sounds good. Replaced my mark Levinson with an aftermarket setup.
Thanks for the heads up. I have a replacement speaker in the mail right now, but if for some reason that doesn't work out, I may give you a shout.

Those are all happening, I don't know enough about audio to know if an amp can ever just have one dead channel or something weird like that. Thanks
I don't know enough either. But my amp has died twice, each time the symptoms were consistent with what I mentioned.

Man, that's rough. Were you able to repair or did you replace?
I had mine repaired both times by a vendor on ebay. They did give me a bit of a discount the second time around; I was just outside of the labor warranty.

BTW I just assume you're Danny Mcbride...

I had mine repaired both times by a vendor on ebay. They did give me a bit of a discount the second time around; I was just outside of the labor warranty.

BTW I just assume you're Danny Mcbride...
Ha. Not quite.

Glad you could get it sorted. Just got the new sub in and it is glorious. When I bought the rig all five woofers were completely destroyed. Now all are repaired or replaced!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom