Enamel paint on FJ body (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A year ago I bought a 69/FJ40. Until now, I have spent my time on electrical and mechanical issues. I have a short list of those left and am turning my attention to body issues. I had the existing body paint tested by two different manufacturers. It turns out the P.O. painted the truck with a water based enamel paint. I have a fender that needs repainted and I am not sure how to proceed. One manufacturer’s rep said they could match the paint but he doesn’t like spraying enamel because it runs. The other said they could match the color with an auto paint but the finish would be different. Have any of you had experience with enamel paint on your FJ?

Paint will not match perfectly when two different painters using different paint have painted the same truck. The question is how bad or noticeable it will be. If you want it all to match and look good, you need a complete repaint. You also need to be SURE the underlying paint and primer products are compatible with what is being put on top of them.

I have a 1969 also. I did a complete repaint using acrylic enamel. And I am an amateur. The one thing I did was remove as many parts so I could completely prime and topcoat. I used epoxy primer and PPG enamel. Came out nice and I was proud of doing it myself. The paint has oxidized a bit as I did the repaint in 1997. Doing one fender alone is easy.

I have a 1969 also. I did a complete repaint using acrylic enamel. And I am an amateur. The one thing I did was remove as many parts so I could completely prime and topcoat. I used epoxy primer and PPG enamel. Came out nice and I was proud of doing it myself. The paint has oxidized a bit as I did the repaint in 1997. Doing one fender alone is easy.
Thank you. That helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom