Emissions Question Air Injection Necessary? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can I get away with removing the air injection rail and pluging the holes in the cylinder head? Im not concerned about emissions, but will it run ok? do I then disconnect the AIR pump and remove the belt?

Nicholas

Why not just fix it? What is wrong? The same belt powers the water pump I believe.

I would say to get rid of it. I ended up de-smoging when I installed my new engine and it's been running tip top. good luck.

Depends on your smog nazis.. There is no reason a cruiser cannot blow clean without all the smog junk..

ChicagoFJ60 said:
Can I get away with removing the air injection rail and pluging the holes in the cylinder head? Im not concerned about emissions, but will it run ok? do I then disconnect the AIR pump and remove the belt?
Nicholas
Yes.
Yes.
Depends. You can gut the pump (hillbilly), or run an idler pulley(functional) or use the space for a 2nd alternator/welder or air compressor(useful).

If it helps, I just took my FJ40 for an emissions test and it passed easily. In fact I had to run it at high idle for them to even get a reading on their machine. I have a SBC 350 in it with air tubes fitted to the headers getting air directly from the air pump. No cats on anything else, just headers and dual exhaust out the sides. I think when I took my 60 in for the test they ran it on a dyno so depending on your year you may have to do the dyno test. You could always tell the inspector that your 60 is full-time 4wd which would disqualify you from the dyno and maybe get the idle test only. Worth a try. You can get a new air rail from cruiserparts.net for about $100 though.

I didnt want to fix the problem because of cost, and its almost 20 years old so that means that I dont need emissions anymore?

thanks for the help!

Nicholas

I took mine off, plugged the holes, and replaced the pump with one of JimCs idler pulleys. Have had no problems to date.

Hodag

Not true here in Illinois. You still need to test unless the vehicle is registered as an antique. The standards are less for older vehicles and it is easier to obtain a waiver the older the vehicle is, but in your case with the 60, you still need to test every two years and pass or they suspend your license.

Im gonna have to throw it on from another one of mine then when it comes to emissions then. Im not trying to pollute the environment any more than it needs, just that the one I am referrring to at the moment is not my daily driver and I dont think it goes more than 1000 a year. thats why its only got 69K.

Nicholas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom