Emissions Question Air Injection Necessary?

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by ChicagoFJ60, Nov 17, 2005.

1. ChicagoFJ60

ChicagoFJ60

Can I get away with removing the air injection rail and pluging the holes in the cylinder head? Im not concerned about emissions, but will it run ok? do I then disconnect the AIR pump and remove the belt?

Nicholas

2. NocalFJ60

NocalFJ60

Media:
    Albums:
    Why not just fix it? What is wrong? The same belt powers the water pump I believe.

3. MR.FJ60

MR.FJ60

I would say to get rid of it. I ended up de-smoging when I installed my new engine and it's been running tip top. good luck.

4. Mace

Mace rock scientist.. Staff Member s-Moderator

Depends on your smog nazis.. There is no reason a cruiser cannot blow clean without all the smog junk..

5. FJ40Jim

FJ40Jim The Cruiser Whisperer SILVER Star

Media:
    Yes.
    Yes.
    Depends. You can gut the pump (hillbilly), or run an idler pulley(functional) or use the space for a 2nd alternator/welder or air compressor(useful).

6. chitown40

chitown40

If it helps, I just took my FJ40 for an emissions test and it passed easily. In fact I had to run it at high idle for them to even get a reading on their machine. I have a SBC 350 in it with air tubes fitted to the headers getting air directly from the air pump. No cats on anything else, just headers and dual exhaust out the sides. I think when I took my 60 in for the test they ran it on a dyno so depending on your year you may have to do the dyno test. You could always tell the inspector that your 60 is full-time 4wd which would disqualify you from the dyno and maybe get the idle test only. Worth a try. You can get a new air rail from cruiserparts.net for about $100 though.

7. ChicagoFJ60

ChicagoFJ60

I didnt want to fix the problem because of cost, and its almost 20 years old so that means that I dont need emissions anymore?

thanks for the help!

Nicholas

8. hodag

hodag

I took mine off, plugged the holes, and replaced the pump with one of JimCs idler pulleys. Have had no problems to date.

Hodag

9. chitown40

chitown40

Not true here in Illinois. You still need to test unless the vehicle is registered as an antique. The standards are less for older vehicles and it is easier to obtain a waiver the older the vehicle is, but in your case with the 60, you still need to test every two years and pass or they suspend your license.

10. ChicagoFJ60

ChicagoFJ60

Im gonna have to throw it on from another one of mine then when it comes to emissions then. Im not trying to pollute the environment any more than it needs, just that the one I am referrring to at the moment is not my daily driver and I dont think it goes more than 1000 a year. thats why its only got 69K.

Nicholas

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.