Emissions help! New cruiser, old problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dmaddox

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello all,

Just purchased my first FJ40 this past weekend, and went to pass Colorado emissions. Since its over 20 years old the emissions is not as strict. Also, Colorado is a bit more relaxed about emissions than California for example.

I failed over all, but only becuase I was running to lean (so the tech says) a little richer and I have it in the "bag".

However, a notable problem here. ALL THE EMISSIONS stuff was torn out, and a Holley 350, header and so on was added. Sounds and runs excellent, but because of the missing equipment, failed.

I HAVE to have all that stuff on there (Air pump, air line injector, EFM, and so on) the carb was ok the tech said, but the Air pump is essential, and I cannot pass with out it. (I guess they have an equipment checklist, he saw that I was short the pump, and automatically failed me).

Do any of you have tips on adjusting this Holley carb? And further, do any of you have all this emissions stuff laying around somewhere? If so, please let me know....

Thanks,

Dallas Maddox

did u try goin to ur local gas station that does inspections and "donating" more cash. Maybe u might pass. its a hell of alot easier than having to find/buy all that stuff and then put it on. just a suggestion.

If the expensive inspection works (slipping Goober the atendent a 20) that will be the easy aproach and good luck.

you could always move someplace where it's not an issue :D

By "lean", he probably means that is it misfiring giving too high of a HC reading. Other things like ignition and low compression can also cause it to miss. The only easy mixture adjustment is the idle mixture. If it is lean enough to misfire at high speed, your plugs should look hot. If you have a low compression cylinder, it may look oily. Adjustment of high speed mixture is done by changing the main jets.

He could very easily be running to lean and causing his NOx to be way too high. Either way, I don't think he could pass with a modified emissions system, such as a de-smogged motor. i just sold all my stuff to cruiserparts.net otherwise they'd be on the way to you.

Slipping an extra 20...that might be an idea. However, I am going to have to put out some feelers as to whom would do this....

Keep in mind here, that there are TWO parts to Colorado emissions.

The FIRST part is a smog check, where they give you readings on what the motor is putting out. Here is what I received:

HC PPM IDLE:1893 2500RPM: 796 LIMIT: 600 RESULT: FAIL
CO % IDLE: 1.34 2500RPM: 1.07 LIMIT: 3.50 RESULT: PASS

The SECOND part of the test is an "Equipment Inspection". Now, I am not sure about you guys, but there is a sticker on the underside of my hood that states emissions equipment. Here is what I received:

CATALYTIC CONVERTER: Not available on year/make
FUEL FILLER RESTICTOR: Not available on year/make
AIR INJECTION SYSTEM: FAIL
OXYGEN SENSOR: Not available on year/make
CHECK ENGINE LIGHT: Not available on year/make

So, all I need for equipment is the air pump and rail that goes across the head.

To conclude here, there are notes at the bottom of the report stating:

"High HC readings are a result of unburned or partially burned fuel"
"High CO readings occur when the air/fuel mixture is too rich"

Well, before the test I put new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fresh oil and the whole bit.

I have no idea what to do here. I think I can find a relatively inexspensive air pump and rail. I dont even think it needs to be fully functional, just visible to the inspector.

But as far as the HC PPM and CO bit...Im clueless. I dont understand how I can be running too lean, and have high HC PPM readings.....

(kicking poodle)

Any ideas? ???

Dallas Maddox

what year is your FJ40? You will never get a pass without all the equipment and most shops (like TLC) will not touch the engine once it's been classified as off road only-i would try to find the original parts on Ebay or wherever you can get them-good luck-J

I have tracked everything down but the carb and air cleaner.

I have a free re-test to use within 10 days of the fail, so I guess I'll slap on the original equipment I have scored and take the retest.

If I fail again, I can attribute it to the carb and air cleaner.

Anyone know what the stock fan belt part number is? Obviously now that I am adding back the smog air pump, i'll need a bigger fan belt to reach over and grab the pump's pulley....

Just curious if somone knows FOR SURE that can rattle off a NAPA or whatever part number.....

Thanks again,

Dallas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom