Emissions for a 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Honger

Joel, TLCA #21509
Supporting Vendor
GOLD Star
SILVER Star
Threads
I'm strongly considering a move to the Phoenix area... after living in the humid desert for 10 years it seems the dry desert is the next best choice. It's about time to get back to the States. I've got a solid job offer... just need to make a call.

I've got a 1977 FJ40, Gulf Spec (so no emissions equipment whatsoever).

It seems, from reading other threads, the best plan is to insure with Haggerty (or equivalent) and then register as a classic.

I'm curious if any of you have experience bringing a truck into the country and directly into AZ? I know I can bring it in to KS without any problems. As long as I have the Customs form, the KS State Police were happy to inspect and title. Is it similarly easy in AZ to get titled?

as far as AZ emissions, why not try it first, costs under $20 - then you have some data to move forward from

I'm strongly considering a move to the Phoenix area... after living in the humid desert for 10 years it seems the dry desert is the next best choice. It's about time to get back to the States. I've got a solid job offer... just need to make a call.

I've got a 1977 FJ40, Gulf Spec (so no emissions equipment whatsoever).

It seems, from reading other threads, the best plan is to insure with Haggerty (or equivalent) and then register as a classic.

I'm curious if any of you have experience bringing a truck into the country and directly into AZ? I know I can bring it in to KS without any problems. As long as I have the Customs form, the KS State Police were happy to inspect and title. Is it similarly easy in AZ to get titled?

Welcome! As far as the importing, I would see if anyone here has any ideas. Sending you to the AZ state Department of Motor Vehicles might be your next step ?

I also think the cut-off is '75 but couldn't find definitive information

So I've moved to Phoenix now... living with my sister-in-law's family now. My 1977 FJ40 and 1991 FJ75 Troopy will be here mid-May I believe.

The links above no longer say anything about classic car exemption. Does anyone know if this still works? Does it have to be Hagerty? I've always used State Farm and they have a collectible policy they are going to quote me.

Thanks,
Joel

there is nothing inherent to a 40 why it couldn't pass emissions when well-tuned, just sayin' - engine needs to be well warmed-up

the collectible/classic policy at Safeco didn't work for me because they exclude any truck that has suspension modifications, like a lift - so a month after taking my money, they kicked me out when they saw the pics :mad:

interested in what you find out from State Farm . . .

I don’t recall the name of the insurance company I have, it’s an arranged thing through a USAA affiliate. Go to their website and you can find it. Much less of a hassle/qualification than Hagerty. I was turned down from Hagerty for no known reason.

@DSRTRDR, my 40 is a GCC spec, lacking even a charcoal canister. And obviously no catalytic converter. Do they have a lower standard for older cars? I guess I’m willing to try...

My FJ75 has a evaporative recirculating system on it... so perhaps could pass. But again, no catalytic converter.

To do the testing I’ll need to get a recovery truck right? Or just some basic insurance and a 30-day tag?

my 40 doesn't have a catalytic converter

@Honger I have a ‘78 light Jim Chenowith desmog. I am in Yavapai county so no emissions. If in Phx, just register as a classic. Hope to see the 70 Series Troopy some day, dream ride of mine.

@Honger I have a ‘78 light Jim Chenowith desmog. I am in Yavapai county so no emissions. If in Phx, just register as a classic. Hope to see the 70 Series Troopy some day, dream ride of mine.

I’ll be joining Copper State... so hope to join ya’ll on some rides.

Gonna work hard to get the Troopy ready for SAS3.

Will likely go classic insurance on the 40 as I want it insured for $35K anyway... a mileage restriction won’t bother me. It’s a 3-speed after all.

But may get the Troopy tested just to see...

Well @Honger welcome to the club. Tom

Does it pass inspection?

inspection only happens once: when you first register the vehicle in AZ, they check brake lights, blinkers, headlights, horn and such - but they don't concern themselves with drivetrain or engine configurations, just basic traffic safety

then you have to pass emissions, and that's every year - and yes, my truck does pass, with normal insurance

it didn't pass on the first try ($19) in some years since I've owned the truck (since 2004), then you get a second try for free, but you can always go for a third (another $19), and then get another re-do (fourth) for free, the fifth time again costs you the $19, and so on . . .

there was one year that it did indeed take me 5 times to make the truck pass :mad: (my renewal time is always in the dead of summer heat :bang: - because: after first registering an old vehicle in AZ, you only get a half year on the emissions, so that's how my initial December registration switched to July, and now the yearly renewal always calls for July emissions :bang:) - and in the 5 past years, owing to my rigorous warm-up routine, the truck has always passed on the first try :bounce::bounce2::bounce::bounce2::bounce:

[last carb rebuild was almost 10 years ago, maybe three tune-ups since . . . ]

inspection only happens once: when you first register the vehicle in AZ, they check brake lights, blinkers, headlights, horn and such - but they don't concern themselves with drivetrain or engine configurations, just basic traffic safety

then you have to pass emissions, and that's every year - and yes, my truck does pass, with normal insurance

it didn't pass on the first try ($19) in some years since I've owned the truck (since 2004), then you get a second try for free, but you can always go for a third (another $19), and then get another re-do (fourth) for free, the fifth time again costs you the $19, and so on . . .

there was one year that it did indeed take me 5 times to make the truck pass :mad: (my renewal time is always in the dead of summer heat :bang: - because: after first registering an old vehicle in AZ, you only get a half year on the emissions, so that's how my initial December registration switched to July, and now the yearly renewal always calls for July emissions :bang:) - and in the 5 past years, owing to my rigorous warm-up routine, the truck has always passed on the first try :bounce::bounce2::bounce::bounce2::bounce:

[last carb rebuild was almost 10 years ago, maybe three tune-ups since . . . ]

Sorry for so many back-and-forth questions. What type of emissions/evap system do you have on your 72?

You're giving me hope for my Troopy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom