Emissions Data 94 FZJ80 Supercharged (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Got my final notice for emissions, which I wanted to hold off until my next oil change.
Temp = 86F
RH = 47%
DP = 64F
TRD Supercharger = 3.2in (6.5psi)
Completely stock otherwise air filter to exhaust

Idle Test Only - Illinois EPA state run test station
HC = 225 allowed ACTUAL = 25
CO = 1.2 allowed ACTUAL = 0
CO2 = 14.1 (reference only test result)

No other data available. At least this time they didn't try to put it on the 2wd treadmill!

Scott Justusson

Last edited:
Was the PAIR hooked up?

cruiserdan said:
Was the PAIR hooked up?
Nerd.:D I had to look that up... Yes Dan, O keeper of parts, my used TRD kit had the relocation kit for the pulsed secondary air injection system (PAIR), and it was functioning properly (as far as I know, that was several :beer: into my install).

The only known delete I made on SC install that deviated from the TRD manual was a remove and cap of the throttle heater water circuit. Figured I really didn't need that.

SJ

SUMOTOY said:
Nerd.:D I had to look that up...

LOL!...:hillbilly:

The measured levels do not surprise me at all. The PAIR would only come in on decell and since they can't load it I bet it wouldn't matter. It wouldn't pass a visual either if they knew what they were looking for. Of couse the kit came with a cool label for the hood that said "CARB EXEMPT"........;)

Last edited:
cruiserdan said:
LOL!...:hillbilly:

The measured levels do not surprise me at all. The PAIR would only come in on decell and since they can't load it I bet it wouldn't matter. It wouldn't pass a visual either if they knew what they were looking for. Of couse the kit came with a cool label for the hood that said "CARB EXEMPT"........;)

I didn't get him to send me his hood, I still need one of those. Mine wouldn't pass a visual, cuz I have a couple of vacuum lines near the Tbody that have eluded connection. I was actually quite nervous watching the yum yums, because they use a hood inductive rpm sensor, and the coil is pretty far down. Not sure what would have happened had they asked to pop the hood.

Always a stress for me the first time I one of my tweeked machines through Professor Smog's final exams. I've got plenty of stories regarding pre class parking lot sessions, that needed to last only 5 minutes...

I was quite surprised that my truck came in that clean. And it clearly shows that CARB exemption on this mod is justified, cuz it's not nearly as close as several others I've installed. The other good news about passing first time with flying colors, I have the state issued paperwork allowing me to play until Dec of 08!

SJ

i just moved to cali and am about to smok my 96 with my rigged turbo job. im a little worried. i am friends with a wrecking yard that does smog so i may be ok with the visual. im mostly worried about what will happen when they spin the turbo up past 2000rpms with regards to emmisions. I may have a complete turbo for sell in near future

It will not pass the visual. It is not CARB exempt.

Dusty said:
what exactly is on the safari kit that IDs it as exempt? perhaps a fellow mudder has that piece for rent? most joes out their dont even know the diff between a supercharger and a turbo...so Dan what is the "exemption" badgery part number for the TRD supercharger? Does it come in a kit?

Dusty:
EOD numgers (CARB exempt) are assigned to a specific kit, and is identified on the sticker. On lookup of that number, whomever the tech is can get all the data on manufacturers and specific identity of each part in the kit. I've applied for them, the application and rules is over 100 pages; they are brutal. And the review of them is just as brutal, the folowup questions indicate that the folks at CARB know their stuff IMO.

I really doubt you'll get thru on a different exempt number. CARB also doesn't alllow boost controllers, or any other non specified boost variance device.

I'm sure I have a CARB application somewhere in my files. I'll try to get some more details for you.

Scott Justusson
QSHIPQ Performance Tuning
Chicago IL
'94 FZJ80 Supercharged

Trd Supercharger Kit - Carb Eo Number - Exemption

For details on the CARB exemption for the TRD SC kit for the 80 series 4.5L motor

The CARB Executive Order (EO#) exemption for the TRD supercharger on the 4.5L Toyota engine is D-425-7 and it was issued on 07-18-2000. You will notice that it specifically addresses the 6.5psi pulley and crank pulley diameters (they coverd both - smart guys!). Which specifically means a larger crank pulley or smaller SC pulley will not qualify the vehicle for this EO. Since no mention of fuel pump, injectors or other mods are made, you change those, you also no longer qualify your vehicle for this EO.

Dusty, this is available to anyone thru the arb.ca.gov site. Read: I see very little chance of you using D-425-7 on your turbo truck.

http://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/eo/D-425-7.pdf

I would recommend anyone that has emissions testing, print off this EO order, whether you have the TRD supplied CARB exempt sticker or not. It's always good to have too much information sitting in your glove box when the E-men are sniffing around... BTDT!

HTH

Scott Justusson
QSHIPQ Peroformance Tuning
Chicago
95 FZJ80 Supercharged (CARB EO D-425-7)

Last edited:
Just got an IM test here in CA. Here's how mine compared (Idle Test):

HC = 225 allowed ACTUAL = 25, MINE = 14
CO = 1.2 allowed ACTUAL = 0, MINE = 0
CO2 = 14.1 (reference only test result), MINE = 14.0

I wonder if the difference in HC is due to:
- CA-specific fuels
- 94 vs. 97
- turbo vs. non
or if this type of comparison between test results is even valid.

The CARB Executive Order (EO#) exemption for the TRD supercharger on the 4.5L Toyota engine is D-425-7 and it was issued on 07-18-2000.

July of 2000? Haven't these kits been around longer than that? :confused:

Just got an IM test here in CA. Here's how mine compared (Idle Test):

HC = 225 allowed ACTUAL = 25, MINE = 14
CO = 1.2 allowed ACTUAL = 0, MINE = 0
CO2 = 14.1 (reference only test result), MINE = 14.0

I wonder if the difference in HC is due to:
- CA-specific fuels
- 94 vs. 97
- turbo vs. non
or if this type of comparison between test results is even valid.

94 AFM vs 97 MAF OBD II would be my guess.

SJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom