Emissions controls 1977 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m having trouble passing emissions in Oregon. 10x’s the legal limit for CO at idle. From what I’ve read it seems like I need to replace the smog pump but I have exhaust headers. Is this even possible or do I need to go back to a stock exhaust manifold. 2F, Holly 2 bbl and HEI distributor. I have none of the original emissions stuff. Any ideas.

D8109B58-FA00-4EB7-848D-25A659B80809.jpeg

DC86F252-A8C7-4ED4-AEFF-94469CAEA4C2.jpeg

9260F390-393D-48DF-B201-B517D7DF9A10.jpeg

I'd wager something else is afoot...but, the smog pump pushes air into a distribution rail, and it has tubes that thread into the head near the head bolts...so it should work with your headers if you need to go that route.

That's assuming your head has the threaded ports...it looks like it does, but neither picture has a good clear view of them.

Air rail 1.jpg.JPG

The EGR system is what would tie into the exhaust manifold, but that's a different beast.

Did you buy it set up like this? If so, maybe the original owner still has all that stuff in a box still. Is a visual inspection done when you test? The reason I ask is because you wouldn’t even pass a visual the way it’s set up. It can be worked out, but will take time, tenacity, and money. With the help of this forum it’s doable.

Ok. That’s what the threaded ports in the head are for. Makes sense. I probably need to get one of those rails then and a smog pump. I have a Sanden compressor I can take off and put a smog pump back I guess.

I bought this fj years ago with the headers already installed and the block was out of a ‘78. No hope of finding the guy I got the motor from. Guess I can post in the classifieds to see if someone has the parts. DEQ here doesn’t inspect under the hood so it doesn’t matter if it’s headers or the stock exhaust manifold. The crazy thing is it passed emissions 2 years ago with this setup. It has a PCV installed but no EGR. thanks for the help.

I’m having trouble passing emissions in Oregon. 10x’s the legal limit for CO at idle. From what I’ve read it seems like I need to replace the smog pump but I have exhaust headers. Is this even possible or do I need to go back to a stock exhaust manifold. 2F, Holly 2 bbl and HEI distributor. I have none of the original emissions stuff. Any ideas.

View attachment 2861924

View attachment 2861925

View attachment 2861926
I'd wager something else is afoot...but, the smog pump pushes air into a distribution rail, and it has tubes that thread into the head near the head bolts...so it should work with your headers if you need to go that route.

That's assuming your head has the threaded ports...it looks like it does, but neither picture has a good clear view of them.

View attachment 2862042

The EGR system is what would tie into the exhaust manifold, but that's a different beast.

i will simply say :

- The main and biggest culprets here on the falure on the Emissions Test station are the HOLLY carb and the HEI dizzy

- its common knowledge that HOLLYS dump way more fuel in a un-precision metered Fassion , dumping is more accurate

- this combined with a HEI dizzy spell MAJOR HC and CO and NOX too way way off the charts ........

- i can say one fact almost 99.9% this 1977 FJ40 was California Emissions equipped spec's when new day 1

- the intake is California , the thermostat upper housing is also , the optional OIL cooler on a 77 is California also ...

- and well the truck resides on the west coast and is indeed cherry too 100% sold sweetheart of a 40 !

- there is a capped off thermo sensor port with a square plug in center of cyl head too

- carb base plate insulator is California too

Appreciate the likes. I’ve owned this 40 since ‘02. I bought it at an estate sale. It was beat to heck. I’ve done a frame off restoration and I’ve only had it on the road for 2 years, so the whole emissions thing is disappointing. Maybe swapping carb and the HEI is worth a shot.

7979A708-45B7-403A-8A49-E3B26D7F94DE.jpeg

beautiful truck. It looks like you're missing almost all of the emission stuff. I don't know about your state, but in Cali that would definitely fail the visual as pointed out above. I had the same sad realization when I bought my car, but managed to source most of the parts. They are not cheap though! Mine is a '77 Cal spec and here is what I was missing:

I always redirect the conversation to valve specs, compression, vacuum - stuff closer to the heart of the engine. It might not be the problem, but, it hurts watching watching Mudders talk upgrades, downgrades, swaps, and part purchases, and not verify having performed routine maintenance with the existing equipment.

Have you looked at the spark plugs? They reveal quite a bit about what is going on.

This is probably good advice. My dad would have said just quit being lazy and go work on it. I haven’t done a tune up since the motor went back in. Have never set the valves. I’ll get after it and see if I can make it run better with what I’ve got. Thanks.

Good advice. A proper tune will run a lot cleaner. It costs almost nothing to gap the plugs, set the timing, adjust the valves and tune the carb. I’d do all that and take it back for another inspection before spending any money on parts.

Where did the emissions failure start? Visual or the tailpipe? I have a 1977 FJ40 California spec. I have had some trouble passing smog, only because the kid who is doing the inspection has no idea what he's looking at when he pops the hood. Folks on Mud directed me to an emissions test station in SoCal familiar with Landcruisers, and I've passed smog for several years now. Perhaps some locals can direct you to a reputable emissions test station?

Last edited:
What he said above. Got to find the right shop. Most young techs when they see all the vacuum lines panic and freeze up. Lots of places around here won't smog any car with a carburetor. Make lots of phone calls.

Believe it or not I have been using a very commercial/modern shop that one would think would be in the category of not doing older cars. "Blue Ribbon Smog" ( It was actually on the TV show where the Gas Monkey garage guys tell them how to run a garage) and if it wasn't for the recommendation by a very trusted cruiserhead I would not have even driven by. Pulled into parking and an older guy walked out of shop and told me how cool my FJ40 was. "Can you smog this?" Sure, is everything in place?" "Yup". I knew I was in the right place. Thirty-five minutes later pulled out with certificate. I have been back three times now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom