Emissions Control Computer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.dereksvoice.com
According to my mechanic, the Emissions Control Computer, where it hooks up with the Fuel Cutoff Solenoid, is fouling the fuel flow. They're proposing a bypass of the solenoid, rather than replace the costly ECC.

Some background: I've had a big problem with engine cutting out for quite some time, and some trial-and-error testing has brought them to the conclusion that this will solve the problem. I can only hope; this has been a huge thorn in my side for a looooong time.

What are your thoughts on bypassing the fuel cutoff solenoid? I was told that it merely regulates fuel flow on long decellerations, like on long hills. And that doing this will prolly make my mpg worse, but that the system was mostly designed to satisfy emissions standards of the 80's.

I asked that they leave enough wire so I can install a replacement ECC if I can find an affordable one. Or, I just drive it the way they've fixed it.

Thanks,
Derek

I would check the connection and make sure the pins are all making good contact.My temp sensor in the CAT was flaking and found it to be the connector not making good contact with the pins. The emission's control computer is pretty basic electronics. I pulled mine and diagnosed the board and replaced a transister for $1.50 which fixed the problem on mine. The speed sensor I think gets the feedback which runs to the board and tells the fuel solenoid when to open and close.

I don't think the an emssions board would cause the fuel solenoid to block flow unless the voltage was weak not allowing the solenoid to open fully. The board sends a voltage to either close or open it. Maybe the solenoid is not opening all the way. Have you tried replacing it?

If you really think it is the board pull it out and take a good look at it. Chances are it will be burnt were the component failed. I can test it for you if you want to send it to me.

Goodluck

You might still have problems w/o the solenoid operating properly. Check eBay as they come up really cheap there sometimes (I sold 2 for something like $5 each).

The fuel cut solenoid only shuts off fuel to the idle circuit in the carb. If your engine cuts out while running above idle, the problem is elswhere. Its pretty easy to temporarily hot wire the idle solenoid to see if it helps your problem but I'll bet it doesn't.

On an FJ60 it's behind one of the kick panels (can't remember which side).

Sure you have an 87 62?

Cruisergreg said:
On an FJ60 it's behind one of the kick panels (can't remember which side).

Sure you have an 87 62?
Didnt they only make 62's from 88 to 90?

Live to Ski said:
what exactly is the "kick panel"?
It's the panel under the dash, right by your outboard foot. If in the passenger side, it's right next to the right foot. You can "kick" it with your foot - sideways. The computer on an fj60 is in the PS kick panel.

Did you ever bypass the fuel cut off solenoid and did it cure your problem.

thanks,
mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom