Emissions advice/help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
About eight months ago, I bought a 1975 FJ40. I was able to register it without going through emissions at the time, because apparently it was registered, and the MVD person just transferred the title and registered it. I assumed it had passed emissions the year before I bought it, but when I looked under the hood, I knew it was missing some of the smog equipment like the smog pump and air injection rail. I took it to emissions testing (registration up at end of Feb.) today and it failed both the hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide tests. And the emissions place also failed it for missing equipment, although no one there was familiar with older landcruisers and could not tell me what I was missing (I played "dumb" and asked them to identify what I was missing. They are making me go to someplace they call the "referee" near 40th St. and Van Buren so the referee can tell me what I already know--I am missing some of the smog equipment. A few months ago, I bought an air rail through the for sale section of I8MUD in anticipation of this very moment. But I have not had luck finding a bracket for the smog pump. I figure I can buy the smog pump from NAPA, but any advice where I can find the bracket for it or have one made? Anyway, any advice to help me pass emissions would be appreciated. Thanks.

When you go to the emissions place make sure you see the same "referee". Get the referee's name, and record it. Different referees will sometimes give you different answers (do not ask me how I know ). Then when you do what first person told you to do, the second one wants something different. THEN THE CYCLE REPEATS.

Good luck

You can also demand to see their supporting documentation stating what your vehicle is equipped with. They have a library of manuals and such. A lot of equipment missing jugments are based on the assumed knowledge of the inspector. Inspectors that are often less than mechanically inclined or book smart. Get the documentation from them, copy it and keep it with you for the next time the station jockeys fail you due to their "surpreme" knowledge of your vehicle. If your present info from their own damn library it shuts them up pretty quick.

Since I'm planning to be under your hood anyways, I'll let you know what's what.
There should be an emissions label under your hood. If not, you can order one from Toyota. PM cruiserdan for what you need to provide them to get one. Then they can't fail you for missing SFI, TWC, and HO2S, cos they ain't on your label. :)

Has anyone bought a smog pump from NAPA? Any problems? Autozone sells one also, but I figure NAPA has better parts in general. Thanks for your responses and encouragement. Let me know if you have 2 cents on smog pumps from auto parts stores. Thanks again.

John

JTinAZ, I live in Tucson, and don't know what year they stop doing visual inspections, but they havn't looked under the hood on mine for the last 2 years. It has passed each time, and perhaps if it didn't they would look? Did they look before doing the sniff test? Earl

They looked before sniffing. Maybe they look if it's newer than a 74. My brother in law has a 72 Bronco and they don't look. I will find out from the referee this week when I take it over there.

10-4 on the age,,, equipment check is mandatory and your vehicle will fail even if it passes the sniffer.

Emissions

My 76 with V-8 has to have evap canister, there is a 3 port or a 5 port,
air injection ie.. smog pump, diverter valve, check valve, and air rails.
PCV valve
Does not need CAT. prior to '77 or '78
Hardest part is sourcing parts/brackets.
Bracket will depend on year of engine and what it came out of, went through several until i found someone at a local yard that does alot of early chevy.
They are very similar just a little diffrence in offset.
Air injection tubes, alot of variation depending on exhaust manifolds. Dealership
and Reith auto parts in Mesa were only local sources I found. Smog ref made me copies of a parts catalog showing diffrent aplications so I had part #'s
to go off of. I have headers so I welded in bungs and used generic air rails.
Summit sells a kit to do this, no need to weld in bungs, tubes weld directly to headers. Much easier.
The guy at Ref station I talked to was Jim, very helpful, gave me diagrams
for vacume hoses (evap canister), sources for parts ect...
Their # 602-207-7051 or 7023
Hope that helps

JTinAZ said:
They looked before sniffing. Maybe they look if it's newer than a 74. My brother in law has a 72 Bronco and they don't look. I will find out from the referee this week when I take it over there.

JT,
I have the same year (75 FJ40) and went through the exact same thing last november. I can tell you how I got the job done and what they usually look for (less than what toyota diagrams at the ref station actually say). I believe that I also talked to ref Jim at the 40th street station when I did mine. As long as it runs good and will pass, I can help you out also. The emissions really tightened smog-wise after 73. While 73 only needs a sniff at idle and steady 35 mph, the later stuff needs to run at idle, accelerate, slow down in a repeated fast-slow, fast-slow test. I don't even bother tuning them up before trying to pass prior to 74 since the allowable levels are really high. However, you need all the major components as others above me already stated, but usually not the little things that the line smucks don't even know existed. If the belt turns an air pump and the valve, hoses and rail look complete, you're good. Make sure it runs well first, as they tend to look only quickly if the vehicle passes the sniff test.

JT ran across someone selling pump, valves, and air lines, purchased as kit from dealership for '70-'80 small block asking $100
#602-721-6997

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom