Emission testing in Texas (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Curtice

SILVER Star
Threads
Hi all. I will be moving to Houston (from WA) this summer. I have a 1978 FJ40 with a completely desmogged 3FE (all smog parts removed). I've been looking into what is needed to register this when I get there. As I understand, if I go "antique" vehicle, I won't need any inspections. But if I register normally, or as a "classic", safety and emissions testing are required. Is that correct? Since I am desmogged, I assume I will fail this test. So going antique is really my only option.

Is my understanding correct? Thanks for any help.

Curtice

[Edit - I just realized there is a Houston specific forum, so will post there. I'll leave this post in case anyone wants to help and answer :) ]

Last edited:
Well, here in Austin, any car over 25 years old does not need to pass a smog test. Just safety, ie: brakes, lights (high beam indicator too), horn, etc.

In Texas, only certain counties require Emissions testing. In your case the applicable counties are as follows:

• Brazoria County
  • Fort Bend County
  • Galveston County
  • Harris County
  • Montgomery County

Cars 2 to 24 years old require Emissions testing. Past 24 years, it's a safety inspection only. Heads up here, they went to a program a few years back called the Texas Two Step. State-wide database system. You cannot register the vehicle unless it has passed inspection, either safety or safety and emissions. So, you have to have it pass inspection. If you try and register the vehicle without a passing inspection, they will know, and you won't be able to do so. I had my 60 series fail because of some silly things, so make sure all your electrical is right. Failed me once for my High Beam Indicator not working after a Koito headlight upgrade. HTH.

You will need a working light on your license plate as well. I pulled the roof off my truck and with it went the license plate bracket with light. With the plate wired onto my spare they wouldn't pass me.

You could also just drive it around for a number of years with your out of state tags. The only way you're likely to get in trouble is if you were pulled over for another traffic offense such as speeding. At that time they would see you've been a resident without registering the vehicle in TX.

Last edited:
You will need a working light on your license plate as well. I pulled the roof off my truck and with it went the license plate bracket with light. With the light wired onto my spare they wouldn't pass me.

You could also just drive it around for a number of years with your out of state tags. The only way you're likely to get in trouble is if you were pulled over for another traffic offense such as speeding. At that time they would see you've been a resident without registering the vehicle in TX.
Unlike Seattle where the parking cops can give you a ticket for not registering your car, or not keeping the tags current.

Unlike Seattle where the parking cops can give you a ticket for not registering your car, or not keeping the tags current.
If Houston is like Fort Worth the person issuing a parking citation is barely a police officer if at all. They just run around town with a wireless printing device and put a ticket on your window if the meter is expired or you're parked illegally.

Houston PD can't even crack down on the fake paper tag scam. They're very unlikely to give your vehicle registration a second look if it's not a Texas plate. Anecdotally, there used to be a Dallas cop that would sit on Woodall Rogers during rush hour and issue inspection citations to people stuck in traffic. It's possible this type of thing could happen in other jurisdictions.

I'm not saying all this to encourage you to skirt the law but rather to show that you don't need to be in a hurry to update your registration right away when you'll likely already be dealing with other stress from moving across the country.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info everyone! Appreciate it....helps clarify a few things for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom