Emergency shock question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am replacing my rear shocks and the upper mounting bolt on the rear cross member BROKE!
How is that replaced? I cannot tell if it is welded on or if is threaded into the cross member.
Anyone know?
possible temp fix, there is enough of the bolt where I can fit the shock on - can I tap a screw into the broken end and hold the shock on?

They are welded in place...

This has happend to me a few times in the past....I have cut the old mount off, and welded a new one on.

It is very doubtful that a screw will work to keep a shock mounted properly.

Good luck!

-Steve

welded in i've tapped a and threaded a lower shock bolt mount (77 40) still use it to this day , ,you could also drill a new hole beside the old one and put a long bolt right through the upper cross member . i used this for my shock mount for years . now i use it to hold my brke line union on my spring over .it worked great . pic of bolt threaded in .
IMG_0023 (Small).JPG

Last edited:
I see in the SOR catalog I can order a new shock mount pin - now I have to find someone who can get the old one out and weld the new one in.

drive it over here and i'll give you a hand. you'll be ok to drive it for a bit without the shock.
if you pickup a pin we can blast the remaining bit out and weld the new in.
i redid the two uppers on the 60, it's a pretty easy job.

thanks for the offer. If I cant get my guy in the neighborhood to do it this week I will take you up on the offer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom