Emergency / Parking Brake Light Switch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All:

I have a much-loved 1975 FJ40. A couple of years ago, I replaced the parking/emergency brake light switch. It seems to be acting up, so I'd like to get a new one. However, the only things I can find are used ones on either sor.com or an e-bay site.

Anyone know of any workarounds or substitutes I can use new?

Also, any tips on why mine would be working intermittently?

Note: I'm not asking about the actual brake light switch. I'm asking about the emergency brake/parking brake light switch that activates a light on the FJ40 dash when you have extended/activated the parking brake.

Thanks!

James

It is very touchy and minor adjustments can make a big impact. Check out this video on how the switch works (I'm assuming it is the same as in my 74):

FJ40 brake switch

Your switch is probably fine it just needs fine tuning. Good luck!

Thanks, man! I'll do some adjusting.

One more question, though: Mine doesn't "click" like in the video. Should it click? Seems to me that the video is showing an actual brake switch, not the parking/ebrake switch.

At any rate, I'll do some adjustments - I didn't realize how touchy it was.

James

just checking does the 75 have the sensor on the master cylinder when the brake fluid is low the park brake light will illuminate?

The switch contacts are probably just dirty. It is a simple spring loaded Normally Open momentary switch that is easily taken apart and the contacts cleaned. Any normally open spring loaded switch that you can fit to the bracket would work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom