Emergency Brake Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently got my first fj40 and I have noticed the emergency brake only stops the truck from going forward, like if I am parked on a hill with the front end of the truck facing down the hill, the brake works fine, but if the back off the truck is facing down the hill, the truck will roll away if it is not in gear....

Is this normal? If not how should I go about fixing this,, Oh and it is a 1977fj40 rear drums

brian said:
e brake is a drum on the back of the transfercase.
probably needs rebuilt, more than likely the seal is just starting to leak.
fantastic!!

It may just need to be tightened - there is an adj screw on the front-side of the drum - try that before you rip it apart with a rebuild. The rebuild is pretty easier and doesn't take too long. Many e-brakes leak from the rear output shaft seal. If you have an oil drip from the drum then there is a good chance you need to replace/repair the rear output shaft seal and possibly use a speedi-sleeve also.

Note that even a well functioning e-brake on these things is not great about stopping the reverse roll. Bring some wheel chocs around with you.

AndrewT

Well she's out on jackstands in the driveway now anyways, I've been greasing all the geasalbe points on the truck and changing all the fluids & oils...So it can't hurt to try

FYI, the c-clips on my '76 that hold shoes in were pretty mangled from previous removal. They are extra thick and different from normal ones. These were not readily available so you may want to get your hands on these before tearing it apart. I did use normal ones to reassemble but probably should have use OEM style. Job pretty easy. Good luck. :banana:

if tighting the adjust screw does not work i would pull the drum off and see if the brake is asembled correctly alot of people put them together wrong use the manual. ps. when you pull the drum the gear oil will come out pretty good not like all at ounce but it comes out in a steady stream. rebuild kit for this is about 50 bucks i rebuilt both on my 40's and they both work great in either dirrection.

One thing to also remember. Drum brakes are also self energizing meaning that they won't necessarily perform the same way in each direction. One thing that you must do is "set" the brake. While the truck is rolling slightly in the rear direction, pull the break handle sharply to get the brakes to energize outward. Mine does the same thing and that's how I set it so it doesn't move.

Don't ever stop with the forward momentum.I've never tried to place wheel chocks at the back of this thing at a severe incline,but you're welcome to run along side and give it a shot.If you're not living on the edge...you're taking up too much space.Seriously though,I've sealed once and speede sleeved twice.I think the groove on the shaft shreded the seal so that the second sleeve didn't stand a chance.Gotta start all over cuz this thing will roll out of the garage and it's got a 1/4 bubble fall @ 4'

Relix said:
I recently got my first fj40 and I have noticed the emergency brake only stops the truck from going forward, like if I am parked on a hill with the front end of the truck facing down the hill, the brake works fine, but if the back off the truck is facing down the hill, the truck will roll away if it is not in gear....

Is this normal? If not how should I go about fixing this,, Oh and it is a 1977fj40 rear drums
Yes, this is normal. The p-brake is self-servo in the forward direction, so it is a more effective e-brake when rolling in the normal direction of travel. However, it should still be able to hold the truck on a mild reverse incline when stopped.

Hi All:

You can get a full e-brake re-build kit from Spector Off Road, which while $$ includes all the little bits, and they have a fancy "gold" finish to boot! ;)

Get a manual that has a good description of the internals of this e-brake, and how it is adjusted. Then "go to town" on it; it is not that difficult, and god thing to learn if you are gonna driveone of these rigs!

Good luck!

Alan
Seattle

if you have serious grooving in the drum, send the speedo gear housing to mudrak and get a double seal set up from him...best thing i've ever done :cheers:

nuclearlemon said:
if you have serious grooving in the drum, send the speedo gear housing to mudrak and get a double seal set up from him...best thing i've ever done :cheers:
Will that make my speedometer not make as much noise?

It will not have any effect on your speedometer making noise.

There is something going on with your speedometer, that is why it is making noise.

Good luck!

-Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom