Emergency Brake Cable off at Brake shop... do it yourself. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TexFJ

SILVER Star
Threads
decided to save some money and have the brake shop machine my drums, and since they were in there replace the shoes.

They put it all together and the pedal felt really soft and the hand brake wasn't working. They looked at me and said they adjusted the crank wheel accordingly... told them to fix it. After they did, I basically drove home with my back brakes on as they just tightened the crank wheel more.

Went home and found the culprit. The emergency cable wasn't put on to the bracket on both sides and hence there was slack. I put it back on then adjusted the setting and all was OK, but I gave them s***... they really could care less. Told them to replace my torn up cable but they said it was like that when I came in (standard answer).

Do it yourself....
BE06F4B5-9FD1-41CB-8288-D63F2864D002_1_105_c.jpeg

484C2CC0-A685-464A-9571-7DF2569057F5_1_105_c.jpeg

0D960EE8-E910-4530-9887-98AA84D172D9_1_105_c.jpeg

Yep. That's why I do all my own maintenance except mounting tires and AC. And that is one of the main reasons I chose the FJ60 Toyota.

Not saying that they didn't mess those little cables up but I have seen the cables just like that on othe 60s that were installed properly just worn. Here is a pic and a pic of the part number for the replacement cable only one is in the package so order 2 if you want to replace them. Also helps to take it to a shop that actually works on landcruisers knowledge is key.
Tommy

Screenshot_20200312-192125.png

Screenshot_20200312-192157.png

Yeah, I don't think they messed up the cables, just did a s***ty job.

I once took my 80 pickup for oil change. 18 yr old kid tried to use 1/2" drive breaker bar to install drain plug. ....NOPE!!

Hey, it happens to everybody. Wife took her car in for alignment recently (pulling to the left) and comes out with 4 new tires, and a 'lifetime' alignment and a $850 bill.... AND the car still pulls to the left. Of course, I crawl under the car and there's not mark on any steering component, nut or bolt.

Stay away from Discount Tire.

I once took my 80 pickup for oil change. 18 yr old kid tried to use 1/2" drive breaker bar to install drain plug. ....NOPE!!
Made over 1500 mile trip in a gmc Denali (my x's vehicle) didn't have time to change the oil before the trip got back saw some oil on the ground slide under it oil filter was loose and covered in oil.

@TexFJ glad you got it fixed up. Stinks about the cable. It’ll be an easy fix for ya.

Stay away from Discount Tire.

You must have found one of the few Discount Tires that has an alignment machine. I trust them with the tires on my Tundra. They installed the tires on my aftermarket wheels for the 60 too.

Alignments on modern vehicles are tricky. An adjustment of caster can change camber and toe, vice-versa. Our 60 Series are a toe-and-go. It was probably a inexperienced guy doing it. Take it back.

What? Discount Tire does alignments now??

I worked there a million years ago while in school...given how much we did on a daily basis in there, I can’t imagine adding an alignment bay to that mix. Yea, no.

Sh!tty work by the brake shop, but so easy to do correctly, fawking hacks, everything else looks good though

Expensive little cable... $50 for both. I guess I need to change them and be safe... they're brakes

Oh, I almost forgot. I also noticed that both drum retainer screws were off. Called the shop to have them picked up and put aside, they basically said I don't need them since lug nuts keep them on. They said it was a standard procedure that they don't put them back on their jobs. WTF??? They offered me $5 bucks since they couldn't find the second one....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom