elockers on the 1996 model year (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was looking (phoning) about a 1996 80 just now and the guy claims that it has front and rear lockers but no switch. He claims that when you put in 4Low it also locks the front and rear diffs. I say he's full of it but without seeing the truck I can't say for sure.

He wants too much money anyway but just thought I'd phone.

I figure I'd ask the experts. Any truth to this guys???

Ben

Ben

I have a 96 w/lockers, and when low-range is selected the lockers do not engage.

The Center Diff Lock will engage in the transfer case, in the oem configuration.

No switch = no lockers, this seller has no idea what they are, other then you want them & he wants to sell his truck.

Hope this helps

Joe

He is a wack job.

Warthog speaks the truth.

No switch = don't buy it!

The guy was such a jerk. Telling me that he's the expert on Toyotas. I wish I could email him this page.

Thanks guys. I knew it but just need to hear it from the oracle.

Did you hear that? ??? :eek:

I think that distant noise was the dude you were talking to. He's trying to fart his head out of his buttocks.

I stopped by my local dealer today and asked about the 97 sitting in their lot. Jerkoff basically said the same thing. When I told him he was full of it and pointed to my beater, he just kind of made a comment like he didn't hear me. I told him he was obviously stupid, bald and, well a few other things I shouldn't post here. :D

EL-fullo-poopo the fellow is....................... ::)

Ben,
I have also heard were people have installed the switch only!
and tried to pass it off as having lockers!
If you crawl underneath, you should be able to see the actuator motor for the lockers ;)

Sorry, but I copied this a while ago, and can't remember from whom.

" There is a relatively foolproof way of checking just about any truck to see if it had factory lockers - as opposed to no lockers, or aftermarket lockers, or retrofitted factory lockers - and that is by reading the axle code on the front DS door jam.

Near the bottom of the sticker, you will see this:
A/TM = K294/A343F

[ Axle/Transmission ]

K292 = no factory lockers
K294 = factory lockers
A343F in this example is the 95-97 auto tranny "

Hope that helps...

8)

He may have been "thinking" of locking hubs on part time 4wd vehicles that lock the front wheels from 2wd into 4wd mode. I have had that futile debate a few times with people who claim to have lockers on their Trooper, Pathfinder etc... However, since north american 80's are fulltime 4wd they don't have locking hubs!

All post 93 80's have a centre differential lock that engages automatically in 4-lo and lights on your dash. You can buy an OEM Toyota dash switch that makes the CDL switchable at your option. There is a post here about how to wire the relays to make it work right.

After 93 80's had the locker front/rear option which is always switched from the same dial switch to the left of the steering wheel.

There is an excellent link explaining diffs and how they work if you ever want to take pity on someone with an Explorer who believes they have the same rig as you:
http://www.safari4x4.com.au/80scool/george_couyant/diffs/diffs.html

And I've heard (heard mind you, this is NOT personal experience) that after you install the CDL switch, and you forget that you've installed the CDL switch, and if you don't have the CDL on, then the front and rear diffs won't lock in and will cause you to swear profusely at your lockers. Then, after your swearing fit, you'll see that new, pretty little button on the dash, after sheepishly pushing it in, you'll get lots of pretty little diff lock lights on the dash lighting up. This is just second hand knowledge I'm passing on . . .

[quote author=FZJFillmore link=board=2;threadid=3755;start=0#msg27671 date=1058544930]
And I've heard (heard mind you, this is NOT personal experience) that after you install the CDL switch, and you forget that you've installed the CDL switch, and if you don't have the CDL on, then the front and rear diffs won't lock in and will cause you to swear profusely at your lockers. Then, after your swearing fit, you'll see that new, pretty little button on the dash, after sheepishly pushing it in, you'll get lots of pretty little diff lock lights on the dash lighting up. This is just second hand knowledge I'm passing on . . .
[/quote]

I have never forgotten to lock the center diff whie trying to engage the F & R lockers. Who could be so foolish? ::)

wob,

>> Sorry, but I copied this a while ago, and can't remember from whom. <<

That new and valuable information was posted by "Pair-o-dice" Ron. :D
-B-

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=3755;start=0#msg27685 date=1058550132]
wob,

>> Sorry, but I copied this a while ago, and can't remember from whom. <<

That new and valuable information was posted by "Pair-o-dice" Ron. :D
-B-

[/quote]

Thanks, B
I didn't want to credit for that jewel of info. Can be VERY helpful when dealing with scammers (ie eBay).

Will

Will,

That info on the door is great, but there can be certain cases (such as C-dan's ) that are fully locked, and lack the door criteria. :D

Just a thought.

Yup,

Hence the "balanced on a pin head" part. :D

[quote author=Warthog link=board=2;threadid=3755;start=0#msg27571 date=1058496765]

you want them & he wants to sell his truck.

[/quote]

You want to buy a blue suit? Hey Joe, turn on the blue lights

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom