Elocker rear axle shafts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The right side (U.S. passenger side) is the one with the long splines. If you broke the other one, you're probably in OK shape. (but the splines on the locked side might be twisted, which could screw you up just as badly)

Do both rear axle shafts have the extra long splines or is it just one of the shafts? I broke my left rear shaft. Is it the left side that can get jammed in the differential?
I’m interested interested in how you broke the axle shaft? We like pictures too...

I’m interested interested in how you broke the axle shaft? We like pictures too...
Here is where I broke it. The rear tire was jammed in a rock and my mighty 2f snapped the shaft. It's geared somewhat low. Kind of hard to see the left rear but It was fairly well trapped.
564452AE-9A63-4E78-927F-7F76A1B9143F.jpeg

Last edited:
So the passenger side is just a standard axle shaft that works in locked and non locked housings? Im still waiting on pics, someone else took them. It was my fj40 with a 80 rear axle.
Exactly the opposite. The passenger side is the one with the long splines (if an E-locker), or shorter splines if non-locked. The driver's side is the same shaft either way.

White Stripe, Below you'll find a few threads that might be helpful when you go to repair your broken axle. The first one covers how to rebuild your rear axle. The next one deals with a mod that you'll want to do to the splines of your new locker axle, to prevent it from sticking in place should you twist it, or break it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom