1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

elmariachi and other military supporters

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Spook50, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Spook50

Spook50 Get ready

Since I enlisted in mid 2003, I've received more respect from people that I ever expected. People will occsionally stop me in my uniform, shake my hand, and thank me for serving. Some will yell out "stay safe!" or other words of encouragement when I would board a civilian aircraft or while I'm traveling anywhere in uniform, and still others will tell me stories of when they served and say how proud they are that this country still has people with the balls to defend it. I still remember the civilian flight crew when I flew home from Texas after my maintenence training that gave me a free beer and brought me a meal from the first class galley. It's not much but it's little things like that that let us know how much we really are appreciated by people. The last time I had my FJ62 at the local Toyota dealer (when my water pump shat the bed), the tech saw my DOD windshield decal and stayed several hours after closing time on a Friday to make sure it was good to go for the weekend. And even when I went to pick it up, both he and the service department manager offered to buy me a beer the next time I was in town "as long as I don't mind being seen with a couple ex Army Rangers". Trust me, I'm the one who feels priveleged to be a part of this military. I see the comeraderie shown everywhere from not only different branches, but from other countries' militaries in the Coalition, and it gives me the encouragement to deal with anything that can be dished out against us and keep on fighting. That stuff never goes unnoticed, and it makes me damn proud every time I put on my uniform, whether it's my DCUs, BDUs, or my dress blues. People like that make this country work defending, and make us just a little more willing to deploy overseas and take the fight to the enemy.

2. MaddBaggins

MaddBaggins Remember the KnightRider!

Media:
    Albums:
    Glad you're out there for us man!
    When I got out of Navy boot camp Desert Storm broke out. I caught a lot of negativity toward the military. That was in the Chicago area. When I transfered to my ship in San Diego it was different. People were pretty cool out there. Some of my buddies actually got spit on in Chicago during that time. Must be a lot of hippies up there!

Keep up the good work, I for one appreciate what you do! :cheers:

3. Cruisin'Carolina

Cruisin'Carolina

As long as you are in a red state, or red part of any state, you should be fine.

It is good to know even with the media bashing the work you guys are doing, or more accurately, NOT REPORTING the good that is going on, that you are being treated well.

Hats off to you, and another beer available anytime.

4. skyshark186

skyshark186

Media:
    Im not old enough to drink but Ill damn sure pay for yours. Stay safe, and thank you. :beer:

5. Cards81fan

Cards81fan

I am considered pretty anti war, but I am as pro soldier as they come

Keep yer head down and you'll be fine.

and THANKS!

6. hightide

hightide

no one is more anti war than a soldier.

7. krzyabncanuck

krzyabncanuck USFS HOTSHOT

You are totally right hightide.

8. Arleaux

Arleaux

Amen to that brother

9. Bodean

Bodean Hot Damn SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Got a hand shake and a thanks from a lady in a service station yesterday. I don't expect to hear it but it sure makes you feel good. I could tell yall many stories from my travels since 9-11 about the appreciation shown to me and my fellow Airmen when we are seen in uniform. I would like to say thanks for the prayers and thanks for the support!!! We will never forget!

Without fuel, pilots are pedestrians!

Later!

10. krzyabncanuck

And without you pilots we cannot jump from the sky. Even though that is getting old now after almost 17 years. But thanks man.

11. e9999

e9999 You want to do what...? Moderator

heck, let's just nuke Chicago! it's a cesspool anyway! :D

12. Romer

Romer fatherofdaughterofromer Moderator

Thanks for all you do! It says a lot that you not only serve your country, but you are obviously very proud doing it. A lot of us tend to forget that its guys like you who keep us safe and defend our rights to bash Jeeps and Land Rovers and . . . . . . Probably a lot of other things that are much more important.

Thank You!!

13. Texican

Texican s-Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    :beer: :beer: :beer:
    to ya'
    Although I'm confused as to what we are doing I fully support all of our guys in uniform
    Butch

14. swank60

swank60

You should seriously consider what you've said here...it's this sort of generalization that doesn't do our country any good - in times of peace or war. Scepticism is one thing, but outright damning anyone because of their political stance is another...

That said, I'm with Texican - I'm confused about what's going on over there (Iraq, not Afghanistan) but support the troops 100%. You guys are putting your asses on the line every day, and deserve all the support and respect you can get.

Spook - what made you decide to join up? Anyone else in your family military?

15. sandcruiser

sandcruiser

Media:
    Albums:
    don't hate the player, hate the game

this war doesn't have my support. The fine folks doing their best in bad circumstances have both my respect and gratitude.

16. krzyabncanuck

Nobody in the military said we support the war, least none of my friends in my unit. But i will go wherever the commander in chief tells me to go. I even get paid pretty good while i am there. I can tell you most Iraqi's want us gone though.

17. swank60

swank60

Careful now, you're opening yourself up to the argument that "Iraqis want us in Iraq" from a whole bunch of folks who have never been there... :D

:beer:

18. Arleaux

Arleaux

Bodean,
    What unit are you in?
    I am in the 255th Air Control Squadron in Gulfport.

19. Spook50

Spook50 Get ready

Sounds like something a POL guy would say :D

20. Spook50

Spook50 Get ready

Alot of things actually. Every man in my family (save for my uncle, but that's a whole nother story) has served, and I've always wanted to do something I could look back on and be proud of. Who knows, maybe I'll do some more college, get a commission and be the first officer in the family. There are alot of options on my plate thanks to just the short amount of time I've been in already. I just need to figure out what I'm going to want to do 5 years from now...