Builds Elma the red 60 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It is nice to work in your driveway and not get snowed on or slip on the ice when you crawl out from under the truck. ;)

So at some point the clutch goes and I get underneath the rig and put a new one in. I went and got an HD Clutch from Spector Offroad aka SOR. I've read mixed reviews on here about it. So far it's been great for me. Specter Off-Road, Land Cruiser Parts and Accessories was pretty close to where I worked on the LC back when I lived in LA. This was extremely helpful in the early days of ownership. I was there a few times a month looking for nuts and bolts and all kinds of weird stuff. Marv was super friendly and always wanted to help anyone get their rigs in top shape. When I met him I had no idea he owned the joint. He was like a shop guy. He took me in the yard and we would go digging for parts. Kurt there is also really helpful. You have to break through the tough and gruff with him but after that he's right there helping you dig some long lost thing your rig is missing. Can't say enough about this place.

Any who... Back to it. I can't find one pic in any of the computers or hard drives laying around here with the clutch job. Not like me to not snap some pictures. Shoot, if I dont I'm liable not to remember how to put the stuff I'm working on back together.

Once the clutch is done it's motoring time. I drive it for a few years just a couple thousand miles a year. Just for fun ya know. Then I move to San Francisco, get married, have a kid. I drive it less and less... It won't smog... It sits for a year. I finally take it to some mechanics in Menlo Park CA to get it to smog. $900 dollars later to the Menlo PD and towing yard it smogs. The shop put it on the street when the tabs were expired. I told them NOT to do this. They did, it got towed. Biggest headache ever getting it out of the tow yard and the fees. The shop did wave their fees after I went nuclear about the whole thing. Cut to nowadays... I'm ready to get back to it with the LC.

I get under it and realize the steering is shot. So Pump comes out, replace with remained from SOR I guess.. I can't quite remember. Then I rip my gear box out and send it off to West Texas for a rebuild. I button in all back up a few weeks later and its driving like a dream. Except for the stupid shackle lift. I'm saving for a brand new suspension set up. I'm starting from scratch. Not using any of the parts I have with this lift even though the shocks are only a few years old. I want it all to start over.

So for now, Im doing cheap jobs that I can fly under the wife radar.

Fluid everywhere

Fresh one goes in

Very nice... If you havent already maybe take a ride into Stockton one weekend (ya I know) and go visit with Georg. He is usually there on Saturdays (and some sundays) working on different rigs. It has been a couple years since I have been there but he always has something fun and exciting being built in his shop.
@orangefj45
Georg at Valley Hybrid in Stockton, CA

Had a visit from @lostworldexpedition this weekend. Luis and Lacey are friends with my next door neighbors who are really good friends of my wife and I's. A while back I was working on the cruiser in my driveway and he stopped and chatted me up. Just so happened that he was staying next door. So we had dinner and he shared stories of him and his wife Lacy's South American adventures in the LC. I was totally fascinated. My wife's family is from Colombia so they shared a common thread there. We actually went to SA last year for xmas. 40's 60's and 80's are a dime a dozen down there. Luis told me he got his whole interior done for $60 bucks there! Man, One day... That's worth the drive right there. Him and his wife were rolling through again over the weekend and stayed next door. They shared stories of their latest adventure touring Europe in a Sprinter Van. They have bi continental vehicles. lol.. I gave up my driveway so they would have a semi safe place for the rig. I would have gladly given up a garage spot but their truck is far to tall with the RTT and rack. Here's a few pics of the rig I snapped when they weren't lookin... These are two of the coolest people I've ever met. Their rig is awesome! If you ever have a chance to host them, you should. Oh and we are an LC friendly tour stop in SF if you find yourself needing a place in the city for a night and dont mind dogs and kids.

Turbo Diesel!!

Last edited:
Great thread so far!

Thanks for looking in @sitesbyjoe

It is nice to work in your driveway and not get snowed on or slip on the ice when you crawl out from under the truck. ;)

Yea, but we pay for it.... Don't forget that. And One day, we'll fall right into the sea, or have nothing to drink, or fall into the San Andreas fault, Or get eaten by bears, or run over by Prius' or or... yea Im staying as long as i can.

Very nice... If you havent already maybe take a ride into Stockton one weekend (ya I know) and go visit with Georg. He is usually there on Saturdays (and some sundays) working on different rigs. It has been a couple years since I have been there but he always has something fun and exciting being built in his shop.
@orangefj45
Georg at Valley Hybrid in Stockton, CA

Ya know, I was just thinking I needed a reason to drive to Stockton. Ya know what will happen if I do that @gregnash , I'll end up with a massive credit card bill. But no really I would totally go down there for a hang. Funny, I actually Google mapped how long it would take me to get to Your town. About 4 hours it seams... lol. I bet you have a crap pile of great trails, camping etc within minutes of your front door.

@joebattle1 Absolutely... and if you head this way let me know and I can give you some great recommendations, that or definitely post up in the Clubhouse thread for Battle Born Cruisers of Northern NV.

It is definitely a dangerous thing to stop by Georg's place and if you are in the market for a suspension he is the ONLY Terrain Tamers US distributor/seller. I actually grew up outside of Stockton so that is my old stomping grounds, wife's family is from Monterey and Carmel and my family is on the South Pennisula in Colma/Daly City/So SF so I know the drive all to well.

And so rad that you got to host Louis and Lacey! I have followed their website and facebook ever since I found this forum. I would love the ability to do what they and experience some of the things they have....

I've been looking for a 30" max wide roof rack for the LC and a way to mount my shovel and highlift on a budget. I need it narrow so I can run my roof box next to it. The only manufactured rack I'd been able to locate was the Kuat Vagabond X. There was a few things I didn't like about the rack, the main one being the price at $434 on Amazon. Not that this was a bad price just not in my budget. So after digging around the garage I came up with a plan. My wife had one of those retail display racks that she used for pop up locations with her clothing boutique. As far as I was concerned she was done with the thing. I commandeered it and went straight to the hardware store. At this point my high lift jack was ridding underneath the backseat. It actually fit pretty darn good under there but I didn't like the idea of that piece of hardware under neath my little one. I already had two Yakima rain gutter racks with 60" bars so I just needed to grab another for my new plan to work. I went down to The Rack Store and picked one up. Surprisingly, it was cheaper to buy in person than from Amazon (First time thats happened in a while). Also glad to give my money to a somewhat small brick and mortar regardless. Now, of course I am aware of the limitations this set up causes. The main one being no quick access to my jack or shovel. I have to break out a couple wrenches when I need to use them. Oh well. The price of being cheap I guess. Anywhoo. On to the pics.

Shovel mount hardware

my old rusty shovel

refurbing the shovel

I bought a few 5' 1" steel bracket type metal to mount the highlift down.

I doubled up the brackets to add some strength.

Pre tie down hooks

tie down hooks, I put six of these on it.

Last edited:
Very crafty, nice!
Making your own stuff is always more rewarding than forking out $$ for bolt on gear.

nice, homemade is always better than just buying :clap: but the factor :princess: seems bypassed so politically incorrect :worms::D

For my roofrack the problem is the occasional parking in a big city and the thief's / hooligan that come with that.
The easy to remove nuts with plastic cover are handy but makes it easier to steal.

From a second hand store bought 4 bicycle mounts that had this hardware:

file.php

M10 10mm Dia Thread Black Plastic Star Head Clamping Knob Grip DS

We stumbled on this camp site and cool sculpture waaaaay up the drive. Was kinda spooky up there.

Looks like the frame for a sweat lodge to me.

nice, homemade is always better than just buying :clap: but the factor :princess: seems bypassed so politically incorrect :worms::D

For my roofrack the problem is the occasional parking in a big city and the thief's / hooligan that come with that.
The easy to remove nuts with plastic cover are handy but makes it easier to steal.

From a second hand store bought 4 bicycle mounts that had this hardware:

file.php

What is this box? I almost never street park my rig here in the city. I don't daily drive it so typically it's only parked in the woods when it is outdoors.

I know Luis, he is a good dude. Cool that you got to hang with them and hear their stories. Luis and Lacey are very well traveled and much of it in a 60!

Cheers

I know Luis, he is a good dude. Cool that you got to hang with them and hear their stories. Luis and Lacey are very well traveled and much of it in a 60!

Cheers
Not to mention phenomenal photographers... Always love seeing their pictures on their website. And so jealous of the 12HT!

Finally! I was able to change the name of my thread. I must not have been a frequent enough poster as the "change thread title" option didn't exist before, now it does. It was so embarrassing I stopped posting. I'm back now Bi*Ch's! I started a carpet install thread that has morphed into how to plug holes in your interior thread. Going to start posting here again.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom