Elk Horn Mts explore - 2021 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Starting a new thread just for this trip plan. Trying to help out Jason so we can get plans solidified and on the books. Here is the kind of trip he is proposing:

I was wanting to plan a road trip across Oregon. Taking the time off will be the tricky part for us all. My job is very flexible if I have enough notice. I’d love to explore the Elkhorn Mtns. This area abounds with old mining history. Many “Jeep” trails climb to vistas that access the High Trail which traverses from Anthony Lake Ski Area to Marble Pass. There’s high lakes to explore to mining history and ghost towns. My dad has a time capsule hidden on top of Elkhorn Peak I’d love to try to find and even hide another.
A week would be needed as Sumpter, Oregon is about a days drive away. The area hosts the Sumpter Valley Railroad and Gold Mining Dredge. Very family friendly so plan to bring the wife and kids. Maybe go panning for Gold in Cracker Creek.

Those interested in this should reply here and then we can get the ball rolling. Also what vehicle you’d plan to take. This would be a lot like Solid Axle Summit in Colorado just in Oregon:)

My Crater Lake Property now has water so I’d love to have a campout down there. I have 2 10x10 slabs I poured a couple weeks ago. I’m about to order lumber and start construction of a pumphouse and a bathroom. These will be vital. Eventually I’ll build a cabin but I’m making sure I don’t go into debt with this project.
We could also do a basecamp at my property and explore south central Oregon, there’s so much to list down there also. Oregon is one amazing state.
Put down your thoughts.

So far it sounds like it will be a week long event. @Hojack I have a couple of questions for you:

When are you thinking of wanting to go on this trip? It could span over a weekend too so that time off of work won't be as much of an impact to some who may want to go. Once we get some date proposals more will chime in about availability.

Did you want to do a base camp style and go out to explore or is it more like a route where we'd camp at a new location every night?

For me I'd like to go and I'll be in my diesel Landcruiser and my whole family would more than likely be coming too.

Getting a trip planned would be great. Let’s first see who’s interested and then discuss our options of where to go. That will dictate the time of year.

Last edited:
I’m down for about anything once school gets out. Would love to take the 40 on a trip like this.

Virginia and I are long overdue for another adventure.
We are up for wherever and will be in the pzj75
Stoked to see you and Julie and the kids.
And new and old friends too
~Billybongo

Thanks Bill. Hopefully we can get something going for next year. I think we'd all appreciate something to look forward to.

Hey all,

I always forget to check the Cascade Cruisers forum. :rolleyes: But, depending on when, I'm up for a trip. I'd love to hook up with you guys again. Depending on the trip, I would either take my 40 or my Bronco. Either way, they are both somewhat capable off road. The only time I'm definitely not (assuming Covid goes away) available is September. I'm planning on driving up to Tuktoyaktuk with a buddy during September 2021. Look it up if you don't know where it is. Otherwise, I'm open to adventure!

Kyle

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom