Eliminating points - electronic distributor conversion on Chevy 350 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi folks,

I have a 64 FJ40 with a Chevy 350 that was installed about 30 years ago.

It runs well, but sometimes there is a little lag when I accelerate.

I am considering eliminating the points, and going with an electronic distributor to help it run smoother.

I have read threads about doing this on the 2F engines, but wondering if it is a good idea on a 350 V8.

Any recommendations on whether or not this is worth the hassle, and any brand recommendations for a conversion kit and coil?

Thanks!

Yes, it is a good idea and very easy upgrade. You can use any number of later model (mid 70's +?) factory or aftermarket HEI distributors. The coil is on the cap with HEI. Look at Summit, Jegs, etc. When I drove Chevys I always kept an extra ignition module in the glovebox after both mine and my room mates went out the same week in college..

Many of us are using DUI distributors which is basically a GM HEI distributor with custom curve on the advance for a F/2F.

With a chevy 350, just finding a good used HEI distributor seems like a no brainer to me, or even a new or rebuild probably from an '80 something truck with the same engine?

One thing to consider with the hei is where your engine sits. They are physically larger than the points unit so if your engine is mounted too far rearward, you may have clearance issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom