Elephant hill, Devil's kitchen, Beef basin, Dark canyon wheeling trip 6/17-6/21 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you want more fun try Impossible Hill, which is right near Bobby's Hole. I made it up fine but tagged my rear side marker light on a rock on the way down :bang:

IMG_2693.png
IMG_2692.png
IMG_2694.png

Last edited:
Nice route guys, I wheeled E-hill and Lockhart basin in my pickup (33", rear locker, and sliders) in march with @Jason hansen in his 80 to set food/water caches for my Hayduke route hike (sec. 1-3), 160-mile solo hike. I hiked most of this route, starting in Arches. Jason did an air drop for me in Beef Basin, hike ending in very intense Dark Canyon/Sundance trail. (Hite) Jason's son Derrick offered to fly me back to Moab in their 1967 Cherokee Piper, it took 20 minutes to fly back, which took me 10 days to hike! Great experience through amazing country! Tempting for me to join up, but my son's b-day(20th)/f-day we'll be camping in the Pecos wilderness in the cool mountain air. Have fun, looking forward to the pics.

Last edited:
Wanted to mention that trips like these are a good opportunity to work on your GPS app navigation skills. I've provided the GPX track route in the first post so try to import that into your app so that you can see where we're going and what's around us. You can actually import that directly into a google map that's sitting on your desktop!

If you're using your phone and have Google maps as your only navigation app, it should work good enough. BUT, you will need to download this portion of UT into your phone by following the "google map offline" process. This way, you'll see something meaningful on your phone aside from the blue dot on an empty screen. Remember, we'll be out of cell range most of this trip, with occasional pings as we go on the tops of mountains.

Check out these vids: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=google+map+offline+download

Ali and gang,
I'm going to bail on the adventure next week. Life is too full! And, to be honest, the weather forecast is a little freaky....
Have fun!

Ali and gang,
I'm going to bail on the adventure next week. Life is too full! And, to be honest, the weather forecast is a little freaky....
Have fun!

Sounds good Juan, thanks for the heads up.

Attendees:

1 - Ali
2 - Larry
3 - Jon
4 - Carlos
5 - Juane Tobascofish
6 - Taghi
7 -
8 -
9 -
And then there was 5. Me likey the smaller group but I was hoping to meet Tobascofish. We gonna have fun. Doesn't look like sideways dust this time. So its hats, awnings, sunblock, water and lots of head soaks! Oh yeah, extra margaritas!

Taghi - looking forward to seeing you my friend.

Carlos, don't see Margaret's name on this one - you flying solo??

Nice route guys, I wheeled E-hill and Lockhart basin in my pickup (33", rear locker, and sliders) in march with @Jason hansen in his 80 to set food/water caches for my Hayduke route hike (sec. 1-3), 160-mile solo hike. I hiked most of this route, starting in Arches. Jason did an air drop for me in Beef Basin, hike ending in very intense Dark Canyon/Sundance trail. (Hite) Jason's son Derrick offered to fly me back to Moab in their 1967 Cherokee Piper, it took 20 minutes to fly back, which took me 10 days to hike! Great experience through amazing country! Tempting for me to join up, but my son's b-day(20th)/f-day we'll be camping in the Pecos wilderness in the cool mountain air. Have fun, looking forward to the pics.
Now that is bad ass Mesa Man.

And then there was 5. Me likey the smaller group but I was hoping to meet Tobascofish. We gonna have fun. Doesn't look like sideways dust this time. So its hats, awnings, sunblock, water and lots of head soaks! Oh yeah, extra margaritas!

I am exited too, I am working to get those stuff that Ali told me ( Recovery points and strap, SWAG, Air compressor and tools, more water storage,… ) but surely I am gonna need u guys help and learn lots of new things.

Alright folks, here's a proposed route and destination for Thur. As of now, I propose we meet up at the Creek pasture campground, just west of Monticello, UT off of hwy 211. This will put us 5 miles outside of Canyonlands.

Creek pasture BLM campground

Google map route from Home Depot Bernalillo to Creek pasture CG with a stop over at Durango.

If you're not convoying with us on Thur, let's meet at the Needles visitor center at 9am. This will be our last chance for running water and toilets! We will NOT need to check in as we already have our permits.

Convoy from Home Depot in Bernalillo, meet at 10am.
Ali+Annie
Carlos+Margaret
Taghi

To enter the park, the fee will be $10 per vehicle and they take CC.
Vehicle Entrance to Park: $10 (Good for 7 days)
This fee includes all occupants of a vehicle.

As of now, Larry and Jon will be departing ABQ on Wed and we'll catchup with them at the Creek pasture CG thur pm. Whoever gets to Creek Pasture first, please secure a large enough spot for all of our rigs, if possible. Hopefully there won't be competition on a hot Thur afternoon. Please monitor 146.460 for the rest of the group to catchup.

Comm freq: 146.460 primary. 146.400 secondary

NOTES:

This is going to be a HOT trip so prepare accordingly. Have lots of drinking and wash water on hand as well as long sleeves and shot sleeves to guard against sunburns. A good pair of hiking boots as well as normal walking slippers/shoes will be good to have. Hydration packs will be necessary for all hikes we'll attempt to do. Hats, sunglasses, lotions, bug spray, etc will be needed!

Bring your WAG system per the park's rules. Wearing our masks came in handy during a wind storm, as we found out from the last trip to the Maze.

We all have awnings so that's a huge plus.

Last edited:
Alright folks, here's a proposed route and destination for Thur. As of now, I propose we meet up at the Creek pasture campground, just west of Monticello, UT off of hwy 211. This will put us 5 miles outside of Canyonlands.

Creek pasture BLM campground

Google map route from Home Depot Bernalillo to Creek pasture CG with a stop over at Durango.

If you're not convoying with us on Thur, let's meet at the Needles visitor center at 9am. This will be our last chance for running water and toilets! We will NOT need to check in as we already have our permits.

Convoy from Home Depot in Bernalillo:
Ali+Annie
Carlos+Margaret
Taghi

To enter the park, the fee will be $10 per vehicle and they take CC.
Vehicle Entrance to Park: $10 (Good for 7 days)
This fee includes all occupants of a vehicle.

As of now, Larry and Jon will be departing ABQ on Wed and we'll catchup with them at the Creek pasture CG thur pm. Whoever gets to Creek Pasture first, please secure a large enough spot for all of our rigs, if possible. Hopefully there won't be competition on a hot Thur afternoon. Please monitor 146.460 for the rest of the group to catchup.

Comm freq: 146.460 primary. 146.400 secondary

NOTES:

This is going to be a HOT trip so prepare accordingly. Have lots of drinking and wash water on hand as well as long sleeves and shot sleeves to guard against sunburns. A good pair of hiking boots as well as normal walking slippers/shoes will be good to have. Hydration packs will be necessary for all hikes we'll attempt to do. Hats, sunglasses, lotions, bug spray, etc will be needed!

Bring your WAG system per the park's rules. Wearing our masks came in handy during a wind storm, as we found out from the last trip to the Maze.

We all have awnings so that's a huge plus.
What time at Home depot?

Got it. Gonna be a hot time.

thought i'd contribute as i was just here last week.

We camped a day before at Lockhart Basin. Barely anyone there, the campsites are a plenty!

I went thru SOB Hill 2x, first on a day trip to Joint Trail to hike Druid Arch, then next day to exit out of Bobby's Hole. I got hung up on my first run, and had to winch off a a rock. No issues coming back. On my exit the next day, i decided to back down the hill instead. Definitely was an easier, albeit less adventurous line.

Bobby's Hole has a few ledges but otherwise very doable. A bad line had me lifting the driver's front which adds to the drama. Here's a vid for this bit of action

Gas wise, i topped off at Needles Outpost ($6/gal). I did a run on the Tower Ruin (get a permit on the visitor center), mostly sandy so guessing it sucked a bit of gas. I also swung by Moon House Ruins before we hit the gas station at Mexican Hat with gas low lit up. Filled up at 22gals.

Water wise, can't have enough of it. There were 4 of us, 17gals total. Drank plenty of gatorade especially for the full day to Druid.

This is my first time in Needles and we had a great time. The temps were up there but surprisingly my whole family had a great time, wish you all the same.

Last edited:
What time at Home depot?
good catch, updated my post. 10am meetup time at Home Depot in Bernalillo. I have everyone's cell # and if I can get there earlier, I'll let everyone know.

Gas up at Monticello then top off at the Needle's outpost private business if you need to.

Last edited:

No, she’s here w me💪🏻

Hoping you folks had a grand adventure. Looking forward from hearing from you all.

Oh, we got pics and vids 👍🔥🥵

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom