Element Fire Extinguisher - Any Experiences? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dissent

Questioning my life choices...
Threads
I almost bought a fire extinguisher today but came across a new company from Italy selling a new type of extinguisher. They sell here in the US now. Anyone seen or used one of these?

Looks like it was a hit at SEMA this year.

Element - Fire Extinguishers

One thing I don't see addressed on their FAQ's or elsewhere is expiration dates. They have no information at all about how many years/months the extinguisher will be good for.

It says "longer lasting". This refers to how many seconds it will discharge, not it's expected lifespan.

Motorist in safety-conscious European countries carry these, sure they are good enough.

Their FAQ states:
DOES ELEMENT REQUIRE SERVICE & DOES IT EXPIRE?

Element's solid construction, no moving parts, and lack of compressed gas (unlike a traditional fire extinguisher) means it will never need any service or upkeep. In addition the solid chemical that makes up the Element extinguisher has no effective expiration.

FAQ Page: Frequently Asked Questions

Same as the FireStryker used in AUS

63769EDA-4903-4093-B448-9E2FD521F215.jpeg

Looks like a one use item. So 50 seconds of discharge and go buy another one.
So no multiple uses like a trigger operated fire extinguisher.

I’ve never used nor have seen it used. Back when I was researching extinguishers for my FEM this didn’t even come up or else I would have gotten one.
Wonder if this would clear the seat on an LX mounted FEM.

Judging by the photos these are smaller in diameter than typical 3” extinguishers and about the same length.
Website says 11.75" long and 1.2" diameter. There's also a snazzy magnetic mount for $15 that would work with the FEM. I'll likely go this route...

That would clear the low electric seat on the LX? I found mounting a plate under the sunroof controls and mounting the extinguisher between the sunroof controls and the sunroof would be handy too.

That would clear the low electric seat on the LX? I found mounting a plate under the sunroof controls and mounting the extinguisher between the sunroof controls and the sunroof would be handy too.

Do you have any pics?

Do you have any pics?
No, just came across it today and imagining where I could mount one I envision a plate mounted under that sunroof control panel sticking out a few inches, just shy of the opening and that would be agreat, out of the way place for one. Thinking about buying a couple. Bummer they aren't refillable but 50 sec runtime is nicer than 3-4 squirts of Halgard at 150% of the price. There's a larger model with longer runtime too. I can't really get a sizable extinguisher up front even with the FEM because my seat would hit it. The LX electric seat is lower than the 80.

Before spending your money I'd contact NFPA first to see what they think of this type of extinguisher, they pretty much write the fire codes, so if they say it's go to go, then I'd buy it.
https://www.nfpa.org/standard_items...&keyword=d981c579-0d48-57f7-a675-3b1ba2231c5c

I read through a lot of test results from this link and it's fascinating. They don't test Potassium Nitrate (KNO3) which is what Element claims is their extinguishing method. Closest test was Potassium Acetate which is quite different. Seems to be a new product type on the market. From what I've seen Element is affected by wind, just like Halotron, but seems extremely effective based on the videos and independent testing I've seen.

Here's a Porsche focused conversation and testing results, the Element company chimed in quite a bit on findings too: Testing Element fire extinguisher - Pelican Parts Forums

Here's some technical data about how Element's product works: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/3...tOperationDescription.pdf?9543567154874779486

For $80.00, better be good. My truck caught fire once, and a $20.00 Kidde A,B,C extinguisher from COSTCO did put it away. I just went and got another one. Unless lack of room in the vehicle is the problem, I dont see why spend $80.00 on something that hopefully you never need to use. Also, did some research and the element is not in the top 5. Maybe is because is so new. If in doubt, go to the fire station, talk to the experts, show them the element and they can give you an unbiased opinion.

I watched the video and looked like you have to get pretty close to the fire to put it out. Not sure if that's always feasible during a hot fire but good for a small fire that's just starting to catch. The size is nice, for sure.

For $80.00, better be good. My truck caught fire once, and a $20.00 Kidde A,B,C extinguisher from COSTCO did put it away. I just went and got another one. Unless lack of room in the vehicle is the problem, I dont see why spend $80.00 on something that hopefully you never need to use. Also, did some research and the element is not in the top 5. Maybe is because is so new. If in doubt, go to the fire station, talk to the experts, show them the element and they can give you an unbiased opinion.
Good point but I don't like the caustic yellow powder in my $20 Kidde I have in the truck now. The price point is closer to the Halgard (Halon replacement) which is about $150-200 for comparable capacity but far less run time. It's too new for any lists, just came out in January this year. I don't have much room up front but don't want anything smaller than a 2.5lb with a 5lb backup. I've put a few fires out and those 1lb and 1.5lbs go so quick!

I watched the video and looked like you have to get pretty close to the fire to put it out. Not sure if that's always feasible during a hot fire but good for a small fire that's just starting to catch. The size is nice, for sure.
I read through the responses to those videos on that Porsche site and they said that these require a new approach to fighting fires. Ideally, you'd flood the area slowly and walk in while it gobbles up oxygen. The videos are inexperienced people using the product. Fairly effective given that. Their rep said you light it and slowly approach the fire and it consumes oxygen slowly and eventually creates a no burn area where the fire just has to go out. The Porsche guys chipped in $10 to buy a test unit. I oughtta bring this up to the local club and see if we can do a test fire to see how effective it is. :)

One more point for any fire extinguisher, it should be treated just like insurance. We all pay for it but hope we won't need it. Nobody says, "Nah, I'm not paying for it, it's a ripoff!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom