Electronic Ignition Conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone have any input on electronic ignition conversions. I have been having some rough luck lately with my cruiser. I had a set of points break in three places and leave me stranded on the side of the road after putting about 2500 miles on them. I am at the point now where I want to go to electronic. Any suggestions???????

Ignitions

You could go with Jacobs system; I've used them with some success. MAF sells the DUI system. I have one, but have not installed it yet. My '79 FJ40 has the Mallory points system that controls the Jacobs OMNI PAK in current use. I also have the stock system, which I am rebuilding. Toy dealers want $675 for a new one. whew!!!

http://www.man-a-fre.com/feature_items/duidist.htm
http://www.man-a-fre.com/pa/ignitionparts.htm

Do a search on "ignition" under the 40-55 series for lots of discussion ...

You didn't specify what year, etc u have.

I have done the chevy six conversion with junk yard parts. I havn't put any miles on it, but it has started right up and seemed to run better. It wasn't hard to do, in fact the hardest part was finding a chevy with an I-6.

IMOP the best swap is to a 81+ fj40/fj60 dizzy, ignitor/coil, and matching side cover for the push rods(cap is bigger, don't fit the flat side plate).......fully electonic, water proof and best of all its TOYOTA not GM crap.

$150 or less and you can round up the parts.

We are using the Crane Cams electronic conversion kit with electronic box. Seems to work well.
Landcruiser w:sheep1.jpg

Clarification on the Jacobs stuff, it is only an add on to a working dizzy. Picks up it's signal after the stock coil, so if your system doesn't work now, jacobs can't fix it. Wether the Jacobs stuff works or not, and if it's worth the $$$ is another discussion!

Later sealed electronic toy dizzies are a great alternative. I ran the DUI unit and know they offer a performance improvememt over any stock toy setup, but at a cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom