1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronic Fuel Pump

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by jl, Feb 9, 2004.

1. jl

jl

Experts... Do you know if it is possible to push start your 2F with an electronic fuel pump (e.g., battery is dead)? :doh:

Is this a good upgrade, or should I keep the stock (mechanical) fuel pump?

2. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    No expert here but,

Um....

Electric fuel pump....dead battery.....I really do not think that fuel is going to flow a whole lot, bump starting? Well if you have fuel in the carb, and can get it to catch, and then the electric pump starts pumping right away it could work... :rolleyes:

What is your reason for wanting to swap out a mechanical pump? If yours is shot, replace it with a stock Toyota unit. The last one probably lasted 19 years, the next one will too.

Good luck!

-Steve

3. Mike S

Mike S

I ran an AUXILLIARY electric FP with a pressure regulator on my 40, which backed up the mechnical pump. Worked fine and gave me the option to bypass the mechnical pump if it failed.

Mike S

4. Paul_A

Paul_A

Or you can hang a milk jug of gas with a tube to the fuel inlet on the carb from your open hood and let gravity do it's thing. I had to limp a car home once that way. I vote no on relying soley on electric fuel pumps. Mike S has it right, I did that and it works great.

5. DenverCruiser

DenverCruiser

I get vapor lock during hot days if I let it sit for short periods turned off. Would a new mechanical or electrical fuel pump diminish this?