Electronic distributor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Helipilot

SILVER Star
Threads
'77 FJ40...Rebuilt from frame up including total drive train and engine. Had what I thought was a Petronix but now find out it is not. Red with a lid that covers the ignition wires coming out the top. Have not been able to get reliable and smooth engine. Just installed new Live Wire spark plug wires and new Spark Plugs from my local Toyota dealer with proper gaps.

What do the gurus recommend for a new electronic distributor with vacuum advance. It's hot and humid and I'm tired of goofing around with this issue.

Edit to add - just about 120 miles since total rebuild

What do the gurus recommend for a new electronic distributor with vacuum advance.

Roger, I would contact @4Cruisers , I bet he can sell you a nice late 40 electronic distributor.

I am running an FJ60 "big cap" distributor that was recurved (for desmog) by Jim C. and I'm very happy with it. But you have more options now with what @4Cruisers is doing, rebuilding dizzys with later OEM Toyota parts.

'77 FJ40...Rebuilt from frame up including total drive train and engine. Had what I thought was a Petronix but now find out it is not. Red with a lid that covers the ignition wires coming out the top. Have not been able to get reliable and smooth engine. Just installed new Live Wire spark plug wires and new Spark Plugs from my local Toyota dealer with proper gaps.

What do the gurus recommend for a new electronic distributor with vacuum advance. It's hot and humid and I'm tired of goofing around with this issue.

Edit to add - just about 120 miles since total rebuild

Here is an easy points Toyota Dizzy install: City Racer LLC

IMG_4265.jpg

IMG_4344.jpg

I used the one above till I installed the FJ60 electronic dizzy along with my Holley Sniper. Note, my 2F engine is an '86 so it has the dented side cover for the large cap dizzy.

IMG_6359.jpg

I have that City racer distributor in my 77, it replaced original. It is plug and play with stock coil and igniter and is a noticeable improvement in engine performance and smooth operation. I would highly recommend it.

Another vote for the 19100-61180 vacuum advance dizzy. I replaced the original vacuum retard dist. on my '76 with this brand new OEM masterpiece. Result was better idle and smoother acceleration. I also passed CA smog with it today, with some strategic vacuum hose routing.

That's funny I passed my smog on Wednesday! I am going to start a thread about it. My rig passed easily but the adventure around it was something.

I see that 4Cruisers has a 75/76/ distributor converted to vacuum advance in the Classifieds. That would also be a very good solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom