electricl problem, turn relay power? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Lemoore, CA (south of Fresno) / Cortes Island, B.C
Here is my problem on my 73 FJ40, when I got it, lights were all messed up. Found out the problem was the rear wiring hit the exhaust and melted connections together. Now everything is wired up right and everything works correctly except I do not have power in my steering colum or my hazard switch.

I believe that 12v power goes form the fuse box into the relay, then out to the hazard switch, back up the steering colum, then out to the lights. Correct?

My problem, what is the wire color from the fuse box to the turn signal relay so I can check for power there. Then what color wires goes out form the relay to the hazard switch (is there an in-line fuse between them?). Once i get power to the hazard switch I should be golden.

Now to double check, the relay on this model cruiser is up underneath the dash attached to the driver side wall and it is about 3x2" square (neponese [sp?] identification on the relay?)

Power goes from the fuse to the hazard switch, out to the flasher, then to the turn signal switch. Power from fuse box to hazard is green w/red stripe. You should have constant 12v on one side of your flasher, intermittent out the other.

Texx said:
Power goes from the fuse to the hazard switch, out to the flasher, then to the turn signal switch. Power from fuse box to hazard is green w/red stripe. You should have constant 12v on one side of your flasher, intermittent out the other.

So if I can't get power form the fuses, I should in theory, wire a line with a 15 amp fuse straight from the battery to the green and red wire on the hazard switch. Of coure I would cut the wire and then splice into it. This should then give power to the flasher switch in the dash and take care of my problem.

problem solved. I did not have power comming out of the fuses to the relay so I jsut created a new line off of the fuse box into the turn signal real. Blinkers work. The FSM has power directly to the relay, not the hazzard switch for future reference.

I had a problem with the electrical system in my 74 FJ40 and I came to the conclusion that the Japs were drinking way too muck Sake when they designed the electrical layout for that series! Some of the stuff they have grouped together doesn't belong on the same circuit. IE, instrument cluster lighting/ backup lights/parking brake warning light/ blower motor/seat belt warning relay all run off the heater fuse. It took two days to figure that out. There seemed to be no commonality to the grouping. Oh well It's fixed now. And good for you on figuring yours out!

I like the fact that some of the wires are the same color and go to different places, horn, signal, and what ever else they felt like using the same color wires on. I finally had to pretty much make my own painful wiring harness for the the thing just to get all the lights to work. The only thing I didn't do was wire up the back up light. That will be switched from the dash so I can leave it on when I want for unloading stuff or running a trail at night.

back-up switch

slickrock said:
I like the fact that some of the wires are the same color and go to different places, horn, signal, and what ever else they felt like using the same color wires on. I finally had to pretty much make my own painful wiring harness for the the thing just to get all the lights to work. The only thing I didn't do was wire up the back up light. That will be switched from the dash so I can leave it on when I want for unloading stuff or running a trail at night.
I did the same thing. The backup switch mounted on the tranny on mine was shorted-to-ground. A new switch was $50.00, so I got a lighted paddle-switch and mounted it next to the cigarette lighter on the dash. I can flip it when backing up or like you mentioned, when needing rear lighting. The switch lights up red when in use so it helps me remember to shut it off when done. I did forget once and had to roll start the rig as the battery was dead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom