Electrical ??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2ndGenToyotaFan

Threads
Website
www.jeffersonstatecruisers.com
I decided to create my own rear locker indicator light on the dash of my 89 4Runner. I picked a spot with no bulb in it, that also, was just a blacked out square on the dash (some of the unused spots have things that don't apply to every vehicle... Timing Belt, ATF Temp., Back Door etc.) This spot according to the wiring in my FSM was meant for a low fuel indicator light. The bulb is fed on one side by 12V and the other side goes to the low fuel switch that's separate from the fuel level sender. The low fuel switch in the diagram looks identical to the low brake fluid switch...

So the question is, do any of you out there have a low fuel indicator light on an 84-88/9 truck or 4Runner?

Of all the unused spots on my dash, this is the only one that has a wire in the dash harness for it, even though it's going to a blank spot with no bulb, or image... Testing between the 12V+ and the fuel level wire shows 12V, so it's grounded (even though I have 3/4 of a tank right now) but testing for continuity between a known ground and the fuel lever wire shows no connection...???

I guess there's some one way diode or something, but I'm not much on electrical stuff... Any thoughts would be appreciated... :cheers:

As it is the wire in the harness goes to no where, so I don't think cutting it and using it in my new circuit will be an issue...

Last edited:
I honestly don't know if my truck has one or not, the Owner's Manual shows that some do. I would bet that yours does, as 4Runners tend to get more doodads like that, especially if they are SR5 models. My gas gauge is totally messed up now, I rely on the odometer and just fill up at around the 200-mile mark. I don't know if it's the sender or the gauge.

It's strange the the images for "T Belt" and "Filter" are on my dash (diesel options I think...), but the fuel light that's wired up (apparently)... the image is missing on...

I know our 90 4Runner SR5 had the low fuel light... But that's a different breed.

My 85 Deluxe console did not have one but the SR5 console that I installed a couple of years ago does have one. Obviously it didn't magically start working just because I installed the console.

I see no reason why it won't work and I would just cut the wire. If it does mess something up for some strange reason then you can always crimp them back together.

Are you going to somehow try to replicate the "locked" indication on a 4Runner, Tacoma or 80? I can't even remember what my 80 instrument panel indicates?

Thanks War. I made a little rear axle shaped indicator. I thought about writing "Rear Locker" But it would have been too complicated for the process I used.....

First I masked off everything but the black square I was going to use. I sanded the black paint off of the back side with 330 grit paper, cleaned it up good, and shot the now clearish square with 20-30 coats (It took that many to get it nice and dark like the 4WD light, but it's still not the same...) of transparent forest green spray paint by Krylon. Then I cut out a small rear axle out of masking tape with a fold in it so I could grab it and pull it off without messing up the image. I positioned the axle and measured from the bottom of the panel to make sure it was levelish, and shot 2-3 coats of black over it, and pulled the axle masking tape off.

It turned out pretty good, I'll have picks just as soon as I can light it up! :D

x2 what WDEagle said.

There are lots of those things in the harness, just more of them are unplugged or unused if you have a less optioned vehicle.

And you're correct about the fuel/water and T-belt lights. Diesel options. Interesting that they were still putting those (even unused) in an '89 4-runner, as they had stopped installing L series motors in the minitrucks 4 years earlier. Must be a world market thing....

Glad you didn't use one of those indicators. You'll need them when a 1KZ-T shows up on your doorstep! ;)

I can't wait to see the pics. Sounds cool.

Dan

Well, despite 20-30 coats of forest green..... it's not. So I'm going to poo poo Krylon transparent paint for now... I'll either get a green bulb condom, or find a layer of green vinyl/plastic to place over the indicator..... But for now.... in all it's glory!!!!! :cheers:
0224091725.jpg

Thanks Dan, I'm pretty excited too! :D I ordered a stock of heat shrink so I can get on with the wiring this weekend, and I'm still looking for diffs... Either a front 4.30 to match, or a set of 4.56's so I can regear... We'll see....

I used the crimp connectors which have both a solder pellet and heat shrink built in. You insert the wires, crimp and hit it with heat. About the time the heat shrink starts to shrink you can see the solder pellet melt. I also used large double layer, adhesive heat shrink tubing (1"?) to then cover the entire bundle.

I was going to suggest that you find a green bulb but I remember that I could only find cluster bulbs in white, blue and red. You might consider making the locked indicator red. That way all you have to do is buy a red bulb. It's not like it's going to be on all that often anyway.

Great job Btw.

That looks awesome! Wish I had that option on my truck.
If I ever get a locker I think I will try and do something like that.
Hey what locker did you use?
I'm sure you have said before but I didn't see it.

That looks awesome! Wish I had that option on my truck.
If I ever get a locker I think I will try and do something like that.
Hey what locker did you use?
I'm sure you have said before but I didn't see it.

He used an 8" TRD elocker. You can buy them in 4.10, 4.30 or 4.56 ratio. They will go into any 8" Toyota diff with a little modification.

I am a little ahead of myself, the locker is still not in the truck, but yes an 8 inch Toyota E-locker. :cheers:

Edit: I put a little green bulb condom (Out of the heater control light) on it, it's a little small, but did help with the color some...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom