Electrical question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 40 has a 10 space fuse block. It also has a 12 space terminal block. I am replacing the amp Guage with a voltmeter. Question is the amp meter had a hot wire from the starter. I believe the ammeter fed the fuse block. Where do I put the starter hot wire on the terminal block. Shows to be a 70 but the fuses and terminal don't match 70 schematics.

All the chassis power goes through the amp meter, so if you want to delete the amp meter just connect the three wires at the amp meter to one post, but there is no compelling reason to remove the amp meter function.

So you don't have factory wiring then. More than likely an aftermarket wiring harness. As Pin_Head said, disconnect the battery, and pull the gauge cluster. You will find there are two posts for connecting wires to the amp meter. One post has the wire from the starter(solid white if factory), and the other (White/blue) feeds the fuse panel. Remove the wire from one of them (does not matter which) and put it on the other post on top of the existing wire. Use the nut you removed from the other post and tighten it down. Now you have BOTH large wires on one post of the amp meter. The amp meter is now bypassed. Connect your volt meter to a key switched hot off the fuse panel. Don't want it draining the battery when the key is off.

So you don't have factory wiring then. More than likely an aftermarket wiring harness. As Pin_Head said, disconnect the battery, and pull the gauge cluster. You will find there are two posts for connecting wires to the amp meter. One post has the wire from the starter(solid white if factory), and the other (White/blue) feeds the fuse panel. Remove the wire from one of them (does not matter which) and put it on the other post on top of the existing wire. Use the nut you removed from the other post and tighten it down. Now you have BOTH large wires on one post of the amp meter. The amp meter is now bypassed. Connect your volt meter to a key switched hot off the fuse panel. Don't want it draining the battery when the key is off.
Yea thank u guys. The problem is I have removed the ammeter and the wire from the starter needs to go to chassis power on the terminal but I can't tell which slot on the terminal to connect it to. Yes I should have paid attention when I removed the ammeter wiring but unfortunately I didnt.

It probably doesn't change things as long as the wiring is stock at that point. You connect the three wires that used to connect to the amp meter together with a screw and nut and then insulate it very well. They are all large wires with ring terminals. One is white, one is white with a blue stripe and the other wire goes to the ignition switch. The main power fed has to go to the ignition switch first because half of the fuses have key on power while the other half are always hot.

It probably doesn't change things as long as the wiring is stock at that point. You connect the three wires that used to connect to the amp meter together with a screw and nut and then insulate it very well. They are all large wires with ring terminals. One is white, one is white with a blue stripe and the other wire goes to the ignition switch. The main power fed has to go to the ignition switch first because half of the fuses have key on power while the other half are always hot.
Thanks alot. That is what I was looking for. To ignition first. Perfect. Again, thanks alot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom