Electrical question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I searched the threads about this, and found that many of you have a problem with the headlights getting brighter when you pull up on the window switches. Mine doesnt do that, but has problems none the less.

If I drive with the headlights on and turn the blinker on while at a stop the headlights dim with the blinking of the turn signal. Or, if I turn the blinker on while at stop any other time the battery gauge bounces down, then up again slightly.

Is this normal? Sounds to me like its a bad ground somewhere or something......, but looking under the hood I noticed my Alt. belt is pretty worn. Then I looked and it doesnt seem to fit very well in the alt. pulley. It doesnt go all the way into the groove, rather riding fairly high and having a small space beneath. The pulley still spins, it just sorta bothers me that it doesnt fit right.

Should I run get the alt. output tested and see if its good, or is this just a grounding/ or 80 series problem in general. Thanks guys.

Regarding the belt: the inner circumference of a v belt is not intended to contact the bottom of a v groove pully. The sides of the v belt are the working surfaces.

mine does that too. i don't know if its a grounding problem or not, but it definitely is noticeable. I don't plan on looking into any electrical gremlins any time soon. Also, at idle with the A/C on my headlights are definitely dimmer until I hit the gas.

Available alternator output is proportional to RPM and therefore much lower at idle than cruise. When the light dim, volt gage bounces, etc you are using more amps than the alternator can provide, the remaining amperage comes out of the battery but systme voltage has to sag to battery level before that can happen (12.x vs. 14.x) the 2 volt drop is makes a quite noticeable drop in bulb output.

Ok, so thats not a worry.

How bout this. The stereo gets quieter and clicks when the blinker is on. Granted, there is only one speaker plugged in, because the po broke/removed the rest. Is that normal?

skyshark186 said:
Ok, so thats not a worry.

How bout this. The stereo gets quieter and clicks when the blinker is on. Granted, there is only one speaker plugged in, because the po broke/removed the rest. Is that normal?

Not normal. That could be a connection problem but it also could be because the radio only hooked to one speaker and is not being used as it should.

Get new speakers then go from there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom