electrical question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

euclid

SILVER Star
Threads
Hooking up a transmission temp guage to my new A440. It is a lighted guage. The green wire for the lighted guage needs to be hooked to a light in the dash, so I used the light in the cig lighter, since it is closest to where the guage is going to be.

I hooked the green wire from the guage to the green wire behind the
cig lighter. I chose the green one behind the cig lighter not
because the color matched the one on the guage but because my I touched it
with my test light and it dims along with the dash lights. :)

Weird thing is that the guage lights come on and dim opposite the dash
lights when I turn the dimmer switch. IE, when the dash is dim the
guage is bright and when the guage is bright the dash is dim. I
reversed the two wires that hook up to the bulb itself.. no change.
I am sure it is something simple. What am I missing?

Kimda off topic but where di you hook your temp gauge to in teh tranny??? Thanks

I have an aux oil pressure guage - lighted as well. I tapped into one of the dash lights - kind of a PITA, but works properly.

The temp pickup is taped into the ATF cooler line output. I bought my transmission from Slee so Christo taped the line for me and istalled the pickup. The line comes off, so it shouldn't be that big of a deal to tap it on the bench.

calfj60 said:
Kimda off topic but where di you hook your temp gauge to in teh tranny??? Thanks

Try running them both at 1/2 brightness :grinpimp:

Where have you got the other side of the bulb going too. Check with a OHm Meter to make sure you have a good earth.

Thinking about this one I think you have the light to your transmission in parallel while all the others are in series. As you turn your dimmer the resistance goes up which causes less current to flow to all the dash lights in series and more to flow through the light for your new guage.You need to put this new light in series with the rest I think.Try cutting the the green wire that goes to cig lighter and take the one end that goes to cig lighter to (neg) of new guage and other side to (pos).

You have the neg. of the guage now on chassis ground?

Goodluck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom