Electrical Problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So new alt is in but the problem is not entirely solved. Voltmeter will not go above 11.5. I wonder if I need to pic up a new voltage regulator. That's the next step unless people chime in with other options

So new alt is in but the problem is not entirely solved. Voltmeter will not go above 11.5. I wonder if I need to pic up a new voltage regulator. That's the next step unless people chime in with other options

Did the new alternator you bought come with the voltage regulator? Most aftermarket alternators usually come with new voltage regulators that I have seen. You check the fusible link? Might of got a bad alternator. I would go back to where you got it and have them run the test for the alternator while still in the cruiser.

New alt did NOT come w/ a new VR. I've not tested the fuseable link but have the FSM in my lap and will read how to do that after I send this.

Everything appears to be working. Drove 15 miles (fwy) voltmeter read 13.5 volts door to door, steady as a rock independent of lights, radio, turn signal etc. Do alternators need to "break in?"

Everything appears to be working. Drove 15 miles (fwy) voltmeter read 13.5 volts door to door, steady as a rock independent of lights, radio, turn signal etc. Do alternators need to "break in?"

Sounds good. Did you recharge your battery after putting in the new alternator? Maybe it took some time to charge your battery. It is hard on alternators to charge dead batteries sometimes. They do not need a break in.

You really need to test the VR with a meter before putting it in a new alternator. If you have a bad VR, it could just trash your new alternator.

Glad to hear it is working. Just keep an eye on it for awhile.

You really need to test the VR with a meter before putting it in a new alternator. If you have a bad VR, it could just trash your new alternator.

Glad to hear it is working. Just keep an eye on it for awhile.

AHH!! In the FSM is says to check the voltage of the middle post on the VR but it only shows one point. NORCAL do you you know how to test VR? I can't understand what they want me to do.

Thanks!!

OK, I've got IC testing figured out and according to the FSM I have a bad IC (voltage regulator). New pars coming in from Dan. I'll report back when those are installed.

Thanks to all for your help.

Problem solved . . .

NorCal - You are correct about the IC being part of the problem.

Rob - It was Alt/IC all the way. Thanks for your advice.

Note for future trouble shooting, new alts do not come with a new IC and if you replace one probably worth replacing both. Also, CruiserDan is a super star.

Mud Rocks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom