ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS- battery not charging (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1976 FJ40 2f engine, all stock
1. Alternator is good, even replaced with a new one
2. replaced voltage regulator
3. All gauges work.
4. All lights, turn signals, brake, and backup work

Yet I am not getting any more than 12.16 amp from the back of the alternator. The gauge does show discharge with the lights on.

Drove the 40 last saturday all gauges were working, parked in the driveway and return for a dive that night. I had no headlights, or running lights and the alternator was not charging the battery again. Yet earlier in the day they had worked. After checking fuses and I found the tail lights fuse blown. I replaced that fuse and the lights worked again but still the alternator was not recharging the battery.

I am thinking there must be a bad ground SOMEWHERE. I found a white wire with black stripe broken behind the main fuse panel, but nothing there to wire it back into.

Buy removing one fuse at a time, starting with the headlights and watching the alt gauge, to see when it shows charging again, would that isolate the bad circuit then allow me to find the problem in that section?

PLEASE help.
Thank You

Last edited:
let me know what you find... my amp gauge doesn't show positive any more and my battery constantly needs charging.

I ended up finding the main wiring harness ground was broken, I rewired and reattached.
I removed the fuse panel and the removed all the connections on the back, sanded them and reattached.
Also under the hood the connection had several splices, I removed 2 and ran a new wire.
I also cleaned all the connections where the fuses plug into the fuse panel.
Which one of these fixed my problem I am not sure. But for now its charging and all gaugesare working

White with black stripe is always ground(75-78)--Always remember what Claudia says--"It's a ground issue"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom