Electrical issues, no start, no horn, etc (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Let me know if I'm doing anything wrong here, it's my first post. Thanks!

A few days ago I was driving to work when I heard a click and the stereo touch screen turned off. The music was still playing and the dash was still working so I figured it was just a stereo issue and I'd deal with it later.
I stopped for some coffee and once I got back in and tried to turn the car on there was nothing. No dash lights or starter or even a click when I turned the key. Then almost immediately I heard a loud relay like click and everything was working again. Continued driving to work and, click, it goes off again. Once I got to work, before turning off the car, I checked the power seats and windows and neither of those worked but again the dash was fine and stereo still had sound, just no screen. After work that day I went out to the bars with my coworkers so I went back to my car the next day.
Next day still nothing working. I checked all my fuses and none were blown. Then after realizing I didn't want to fix it on the side of the road in a random neighborhood I called a tow. While I was sitting in the car waiting, I noticed a faint buzzing coming from under the dash. I'm not too knowledgeable about car electronics but it sounded to me like a relay flipping on and off so fast it wasn't hitting either on or off, but like floating. I tried searching for it but couldn't find it in the dark and to make it harder it stopped whenever I had the door open. That's when I noticed the door lights weren't working either. It also would stop if I tried to move the seat, windows, or turn the key.
Eventually it seemed to buzz higher and higher pitched, I'm guessing if it was the relay, it was speeding up the off-on thing. Then it just stopped. After it stopped I checked my horn and headlights. Neither worked.
Now it's just sitting in my apartment parking lot. I tried looking around for the ignition relay using some electrical schematics I found but I'm not sure where it is, and also whoever had it before me had some modifications in it that were removed and the electrical remnants of it are scattered around the car making it harder to figure out for someone inexperienced in an 80 series and especially car electronics.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Let me know if yall have any questions or suggestions. Thanks!

Where are the fusible links I should check and what should I look for?
I don't mean this in a nasty way but if you don't know where they are then you should forget checking them and just replace them.
16226733948635500903638605306223.jpg

The links are located right off the the positive terminal on the battery.
We are talking about $20 and 15 mins of simple work to change them.

I don't mean this in a nasty way but if you don't know where they are then you should forget checking them and just replace them.
View attachment 2692659

The links are located right off the the positive terminal on the battery.
We are talking about $20 and 15 mins of simple work to change them.
Thanks I'll try that later. Got a couple days before I can spend any money on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom