Electrical issue causing EGT to be inaccurate. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Noticed my EGT Temps are erratic in my 93 HDJ81. Probe (type K thermocouple) is in exhaust manifold, pre-turbo. I've been troubleshooting this issue for awhile. With my thermocouple wire disconnected from connector leading to inside the cabin, I measured the mV at connector coming from EGT probe. Voltage is steady and makes since with normal exhaust Temps BUT when you roll front windows up or down the mV noticeably fluctuates. The type k wire is not run near other electrical wires while I was testing. I'm picking up electrical noise somehow.....my next thought is block grounding issue. Thoughts?

Is your probe cable shielded? Maybe try grounding the shielding if so.

Is your probe cable shielded? Maybe try grounding the shielding if so.
I'll give that a try. I grounded the shield on the cabin side with no change but the shield isn't all one piece. The engine side has a connector and the shield starts again to the probe. I'll try grounding the engine bay side.

Had a broken ground wire from battery post to fender under the hood cause in cab pyro to drop to zero when headlights were turned on... rest of interior functions all fine. Don't ask me why only pyro was affected but replacing that broken wire solved the issue. Even if things appear ok, be suspicious. Nothing to lose with adding a few extra body grounds, even temporarily to test. Meter doesnt always tell the whole story... Cab to fenders, fenders to batteries... worth a look.

Had a broken ground wire from battery post to fender under the hood cause in cab pyro to drop to zero when headlights were turned on... rest of interior functions all fine. Don't ask me why only pyro was affected but replacing that broken wire solved the issue. Even if things appear ok, be suspicious. Nothing to lose with adding a few extra body grounds, even temporarily to test. Meter doesnt always tell the whole story... Cab to fenders, fenders to batteries... worth a look.
I'll do some more digging. Appreciate the help. I need to get my brother's silly jeep out of my way to get back to work on my landcruiser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom