Electrical help please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am pretty ignorant when it comes to electricity and have a bit of a conundrum with my 1997 Land Cruiser. I had some of the dash apart (lower half) and all the rest of the interior apart for a re-paint job a while back. I finally have reassembled exterior, the interior and dash but have no power to the dome lights, the clock, the OEM radio, the driver and passenger mirror, nd maybe the backup lights but not positive on that yet.

I am assuming there has to be a ground or a connection or something that is common to these and took a look at the electrical wiring diagrams from the FSM but am at a bit of a loss. It looks like they share a common ground but can't figure out where that is or what to look for. They also seem to share a common connector (J7 I think). I started digging for the J7 connector but it looks ok and don't think it was ever messed with if what I found is actually it. It seems like it isn't likely the culprit but I could be wrong. I figured a ground would make more sense.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. (Please note that my failure to figure it out should not reflect on the quality of the help given :) ).

There should be a ground inside the driver kick panel and another laterally centered on the floor and just barely aft of the shifter console.

Thanks. In the electrical diagram the ground IE is the one in the driver side kick panel and ID is in the passenger side. Either of them look like they could be a culprit from my limitied understanding. I think I remeber the one aft of the shifter console when re-assembling things and making sure it wasn't corroded and had good contact. How hard are the grounds in the kick panels to find? Are they a wire with an eyelet and a bolt mounting it to a ground? Just not sure what I am looking for.

Yes grounds are bolted to body work with an eyelet. Metal needs to be clean and fastener tight.

Thanks, now I have an idea of what to look for. Hopefully that is all that it is. I doubt they were touched when they dash was apart but who knows what the shop did.

Did you check fuses and fusible links.

Toyota grounds are white wires with a black stripe. If it is an illumination ground white with a green stripe.

I don't think it is the fusible link. The vehilce starts and dash lights turn on. AC and fan work and turn signals and headlights work. Seats work. It is really the radio, the clock, dome lights, side mirrors so far that I've identified that don't work. I checked a fuse or 2 that seemed like they might relate to that system but couldnt find any fuses that seemed to apply directly or were connected to all of the things not working. I didn't check with an ohmeter for resistance across the fuses that I pulled but they passed visual inspection and didn't pursue it further yet. Is there a specific fuse I should be checking?

I blew the dome fuse under the hood and it killed all the dome lights and Clock- not sure about the radio or mirrors. Is that one of the fuses you checked?

Thanks @ERG80, that was not one that I had checked. I had also found the right rear flashers wasn't working and thought it was all tied together and checked the lights fuse which was fine. Checked the rear bulbs next and found that was the problem there :) I'll check the fuse you mention under the hood. Maybe that is all it is.

Just wanted to give an update and say thank you again for the help. @ERG80 and @baldilocks were right to check the fuses. The dome light fuse was shot and so was the Cig fuse in the interior fuse box. Changing those out got the radio working and the clock and dome lights. I still don't have the mirrors working and the vanity lights on the sun visors are not working either. I checked all the other fuses with a voltmeter and they were good. I suspect the vanity lights might not be working due to maybe reversing the electrical connectors when re-installing the visors but I'll have to check into that another day. I'll keep you posted.

Out of curiosity, any reason come to mind as to why those fuses would have blown?

I blew mine not being careful. I accidentally grounded a wire to the back hatch installing an extra dome light.

Well made a little more progress today. Figured out why the vanity lights on the sun visors didn't work. I didn't seat the electrical pins into the visors deeply enough. Happened to blow the dome light fuse again when working on it so that is probably what happened before as well and would explain the previously blown fuse. @ERG80 was right in his guess with that as well. Not sure what blew the cig fuse but probably a similar situation. Here are some photos just for fun since everyone likes photos.

Culprit fuse:

electrical 1.jpg

electrical 2.jpg

Poorly seated wire pin at the connector to the visor (both pins I had only installed this deeply which is why the didn't work). I have now learned to disconnect the battery when working wires - especially ones that stay live when the ignition is off :). The two ends of these touched when re-installing them and blew the fuse a 2nd time but this time around I knew where to check when the lights still didn't work after installing the pins properly.

electrical 3.jpg

Here is how they should be connected and seated. Not sure if it matters which wire goes to which side of the connector but this is the correct side for each wire for future reference. (I double checked on the LX450 to verify). There is a little lip just above the foam padding that you can see just peeping out in the photo above. The blue and yellow wire goes to the right side of the connectore when the tab is facing you.

electrical 4.jpg

I tried figuring out the mirrors but haven't figured that one out yet. I took the mirrors off thinking that maybe there were pins like the ones on the sun visors that I had installed incorrectly but there isnt' and I had previously done the zip tie fix for the shaky mirror years ago and can see it is still there and isn't loose so I don't think it was messed with by the body shop. They would have had to cut the zip ties to get to the motor on the back so I am assuming the problem is elsewhere.

Anyone know if there is a fuse dedicated to the mirrors and where I would find it? I checked the fuse boxes again and re-tested the fuses and they are all operational. Maybe there is an inline fuse for the mirrors? My next plan is to try to get to the switch for the mirrors and test to see if there is power getting to the switch but that will have to wait for another day or week or month depending on if I am able to find some more time to work on it.

Finally had time to work on figuring out the side mirror motors not working - found that all the connectors on that side where the mirror controlls were had been disconnected. Plugged them back in and it works like before - easy fix.

Lessons learned - start with the basics such as checking the fuses, and making sure things are plugged in. My brain was thinking that each one of these things had to have a shared portion in their circuitry to make all of them fail at once which was clearly wrong :). More pictures just for fun and thanks again to all for the help.

Electrical 5.jpg
electrical 6.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom