Electrical Help Needed - Smoking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need a little help guys with a electrical problem that was encountered today. My BJ74 was sitting for a couple of weeks and when my buddy went to start it up there was no batt. power. He found a loose connection to one of the batteries and tightened it up and was able to start the truck but after running for around 1/2 a minute it abruptly stopped and when he came back to the truck it smelled like burnt electrical in the cab but he didn't smell anything under the hood but the heater fan was on when the truck stopped. The truck is now electrically dead and we are not to sure how to proceed. Any things to look for or any ideas would be greatly appreciated. My truck is in good condition and the electrical appears good. Is there any common interior problems to worry about? I guess we will check out the fusable links and fuse box but a burnt fuse is result of some major problem. Is there just one fusable link or more? Could it just be the bad battery connection that existed that caused the problem? Helllllp!!!!

Im just getting over an electrical fire (minor)myself due to some bad wiring from the previous owner.
There is a fusible link and its a good place to start. Its on the positive cable usually close to the battery.

I think a bad battery connectiuon could cause it however it could be anything at this stage.

Dust and fluff have been known to accumalate on the blower motor resistors and catch fire
As a precaution I would leave the battery disconnected until the problem is resolved.

Funny, I just went through a similar thing myself. First off get a tsm. It will be usefull in that it has an electrical map and tells how to perform alot of tests. Get a cheap multimeter. Be systematic. Start with the batteries. Do they have any charge in them? THen check your posts and post connectors. BTW this was my problem and I changed out to some nice brass post connectors. Now check your connectors for your fuseable links then check your fuseable links. If you have lost all power you should not be able to get past the above tests without finding the problem. My 70 has 3 fuseable links off the second batt (12v). Each powers a different part of the vehicle so the probability of losing all power because all three links have burned is low. Most likely the problem is your batteries or connectors. Being that you are 24v any bad connections can yield strange results, i.e., seemingly dead system when one battery cant keep a charge, a bad connection between two batts can make it seem like your system is dead and so on (I had a 24v bj42 that drove me mad with electrical gremlins). Dont forget to solder any bad connections you replace and use dielectric grease between all contacts - it keeps h20 out and stops corrosion of contacts.

Karl

Last edited:
I second the blower motor resistor. they almost always have lots of fluff in them...
j

Thanks guys for the leads. I will get things checked out this week and will post what I find. I hope I won't need to ask anymore questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom