Electrical guide/ manual/ handbook request (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I've reached my Achilles heel as far as mods/ maintenance go. I posted this in the POWER SYSTEMS thread but as it is specific to my needs for the 100 I'll give it a go here as well.

I am need of the collective opinion here for a good electrical guide/ handbook specifically for the purpose of onboard power systems.

I've gotten into simpler things like wiring up speakers in the truck (x2 now as I did the wiring wrong the first time) and basic wiring connections.

Now I'm getting into power inverters, switch blocks, and more of the advanced things that so many of you seem to have a knack for!.

Anyways, anything will be more helpful than me blindly searching for resources with my already limited knowledge on the subject.

Thanks in advance.

@Blue Phoenix what is your ask here exactly? I am not following you. I am sure you have the wiring diagrams and such right?

West Marine has some good resources on their website. Might be worth a look.

I don't know much about inverters but for the most part if you look up how to install a car stereo amplifier (assuming you use the correct type/gauge of wire for your use) that's probably already have half work you'll need to do for a power system. Then you can lookup any specifics the power system you want may need like where do you want the power to go. Maybe look up how to wire a relay, that'll teach you how to turn on and off what you just added via a trigger, which can be your ignition or something else 12v.

@Blue Phoenix I think this may be the thread you are looking for....

I'm not sure where to point you, aside from electrical wiring in general. Car audio is probably the most prominent industry where this stuff is practiced/documented/shared. I'm guessing there are good summaries geared towards overlanding as well, but I've learned most wiring stuff through my quest for good audio.

Sorry for the ambiguity...

Looking to start wiring up a few things:

Dual batteries
Isolators, solenoids

None of it will be native wiring in short so FSM will leave me shorthanded.

Additionally I have a trailer now which I'll be adding another battery to.

Request is for a good basic guide to electrical wiring. I have found a bunch of home guides which is obviously not what I am looking for.

My advice is 1st figure out how to crimp wire:
1. buy a high quality wire stripper. I have a klein katapult which works well and isn’t crazy expensive. Maybe $30.
2. Buy wire crimping pliers, like the Klien 1005, & practice crimping bare connectors because they’re cheap. After you get the hang of it practice on insulated connectors. Don’t buy ratcheting crimpers unless you’re willing to spend some serious money. All the cheap ones I’ve tried suck. My favorite is the 3M TR-490.
3. Buy decent connectors. delcity.net is a good place to start. Buy a bunch of uninsulated butt connectors and practice on them. You can insulate bare crimps with heat shrink tubing. I like the adhesive lined stuff. For smaller diameter positive wiring, where a “push on” connector is needed, heat shrink connectors are the bomb.
4. To protect from abrasion inside the vehicle use split loom. In the engine compartment use high temp fabric loom. Overlap the end of the loom and the exposed wire with heat shrink.
5. To crimp battery lugs buy a hydraulic crimper. The Harbor Freight one works fine.
6. When you’re ready for a project buy decent wire delcity.com is a good choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom