Electrical Gremlins in a 60...need help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CenTXFJ60

SILVER Star
Threads
heres a link I posted in the diesel 24v section. Electrical Gremlins with a 12HT swap
Due to the higher volume in this section wanted to give it some visibility. Helping a friend @lohdown with his HJ60 that had a 12HT dropped in. I’ve started from scratch on the electrics as the original harness was swapped out. When I got it the donor harness was laying in the truck but not hooked up. Fast forward and it runs and most of the outside lights work. I’ve been sourcing some missing pieces here on mud. My current hurdle is the headlights and blinkers/hazards have zero juice. When I flip the switches and have my other hand on the relays they are clicking. And no niece to the fuses. That’s as far as I’ve gone so any sujjestions are appreciated. Thanks. Jim

That would be suggestions. Not sure how I got that other word :). I am typing while 30k feet in the air. Gotta love technology!

You will have to start going manually through the harness. If you feel the relay clicking, you will need to tap the voltmeter to the terminal out from the relay to determine if you're getting voltage out of the relay first. I'm assuming this is a 12v truck and 12HT is running 12v as well?

If all the relays are 12v and nothing is mixed 12v/24v, you should see 12v out of the relay assuming the relay is functioning properly. Grounds all in place?

If test proves 12v out of the relay, run continuity test between (+) feed for either high or low beam into the light and see if anything comes out, if not, start moving backwards from the headlight. Has any wiring been spliced/cut for the swap? Also verify continuity from headlight (-) to ground.

You will have to start going manually through the harness. If you feel the relay clicking, you will need to tap the voltmeter to the terminal out from the relay to determine if you're getting voltage out of the relay first. I'm assuming this is a 12v truck and 12HT is running 12v as well?

If all the relays are 12v and nothing is mixed 12v/24v, you should see 12v out of the relay assuming the relay is functioning properly. Grounds all in place?

If test proves 12v out of the relay, run continuity test between (+) feed for either high or low beam into the light and see if anything comes out, if not, start moving backwards from the headlight. Has any wiring been spliced/cut for the swap? Also verify continuity from headlight (-) to ground.
So this is a 24v which is why I had it in the diesel section. I’ve recognized the only difference (for the most part) is two batteries and all the parts. Wiring is is basically the same as a 12v system. I will start tracking from the relay out also going to verify the ground strap on the steering Columbia making good contact. The previous person that worked in the truck painted the steering column.

DFBA1778-41C9-4FB7-A697-9372455408D9.png
B663D404-ED2A-4300-B116-0036B2434B5C.jpeg
Jim if I can help with connecter pics for the wires I could shoot you some ??
So your post is great timing Pete. These two pictures give you an idea of what I’m looking at on my end. Keep in mind I’ve never worked on a 24v harness so there are some relays I’m not familiar with. Hazards/blinkers were one of my two current issues. The first pic with the arrow is the current harness and for the life of me had no idea what that white clip was for. As I’m tracing wires on the donor 61 harness (the one opened up) trying to figure out the lights I see those two relays in the 2nd pic. I finally followed their wires and it goes to the flasher relay by the fuse panel. Quick swap of relays into the truck and I now have hazards and blinkers. Sure hope the headlights are something this simple that I’m overlooking. So I need to retract my above statement about the 24v harness being the same as a 12v. I’ve never seen those two relays on the passenger side of a 12 volt.

So a dumb question on the headlights...if I’m missing the dimmer switch will this cause me to have no voltage at the headlights? Reason I ask is the FSM wire diagram shows the headlights going through the dimmer switch. Kinda thinking an incomplete circuit or something like that :). I’m grabbing straws but throwing it out there for feedback. Thanks.

@pistonpete can you show me a pic of how/where those two flasher relays mount on the passenger side? I assume it’s in the kickpanel but can’t find an obvious spot. Thanks.

80099598-C5F0-46AA-9EF6-50C94F4DDA50.png
So a dumb question on the headlights...if I’m missing the dimmer switch will this cause me to have no voltage at the headlights? Reason I ask is the FSM wire diagram shows the headlights going through the dimmer switch. Kinda thinking an incomplete circuit or something like that :). I’m grabbing straws but throwing it out there for feedback. Thanks.

Thanks Pete. I never looked that far up. Was going with the area it was hanging down by. I’ll be out there in a few hours. May have some additional questions etc. appreciate your feedback.

F7A69166-7983-40FA-B27F-59525027BF40.jpeg
Pete, do you have this section on your harness? It’s on the left hand side right by the battery (see red arrow). Almost looks like two smaller fuseable links in a series. Not sure if this connects to the battery or to a ground. Currently grounded to the fender.

Battery cable are like mine, its goes to body.
Then the fuse link in-between the battery cable...

View attachment 1726880
Ok. Looks like your link joins into the cable linking your batteries. Not sure where this one I’m working on ties in. Not the cable linking the batteries as I make that cable. Will head out and check
heres a link I posted in the diesel 24v section. Electrical Gremlins with a 12HT swap
Due to the higher volume in this section wanted to give it some visibility. Helping a friend @lohdown with his HJ60 that had a 12HT dropped in. I’ve started from scratch on the electrics as the original harness was swapped out. When I got it the donor harness was laying in the truck but not hooked up. Fast forward and it runs and most of the outside lights work. I’ve been sourcing some missing pieces here on mud. My current hurdle is the headlights and blinkers/hazards have zero juice. When I flip the switches and have my other hand on the relays they are clicking. And no niece to the fuses. That’s as far as I’ve gone so any sujjestions are appreciated. Thanks. Jim
it closer in a bit.

View attachment 1726895 View attachment 1726896 View attachment 1726897 So there is a difference in where these go vs. yours. The 2nd and 3rd pic shows the link wire going from the body into the wire harness on the left side. It’s a heavy gauge red/blue wire. Should this be routed to the positive post of the second battery as yours is? Also, the first pic is another section of the LEft hand side harness. I assume the clip (arrow) on the turbo pipe is for the VSV. And can you help me on the two that are circled? I’m hoping the smaller of the two go to the temp sending unit behind the compressor. I still have a few more pics with questions but don’t want to overload you all at once :)

2FBF0633-ACF8-47E1-B622-4B0D31FD7A30.png
9D619347-D8F6-485B-8E75-EEF0A7581416.png
F2529B76-6546-4B91-96FE-19FA3F526C23.png
So there is a difference in where these go vs. yours. The 2nd and 3rd pic shows the link wire going from the body into the wire harness on the left side. It’s a heavy gauge red/blue wire. Should this be routed to the positive post of the second battery as yours is? Also, the first pic is another section of the LEft hand side harness. I assume the clip (arrow) on the turbo pipe is for the VSV. And can you help me on the two that are circled? I’m hoping the smaller of the two go to the temp sending unit behind the compressor. I still have a few more pics with questions but don’t want to overload you all at once :)

E9AD931C-CF8E-4C2A-AF79-8EC194C4E29A.png
08248355-F44F-4604-8E6D-107F4E759404.png
6A21B644-D762-4188-AB9D-47E8428C22EF.png
View attachment 1726895 View attachment 1726896 View attachment 1726897 So there is a difference in where these go vs. yours. The 2nd and 3rd pic shows the link wire going from the body into the wire harness on the left side. It’s a heavy gauge red/blue wire. Should this be routed to the positive post of the second battery as yours is? Also, the first pic is another section of the LEft hand side harness. I assume the clip (arrow) on the turbo pipe is for the VSV. And can you help me on the two that are circled? I’m hoping the smaller of the two go to the temp sending unit behind the compressor. I still have a few more pics with questions but don’t want to overload you all at once :)

Yeah, its takes ( what I was led to believe ) 12 volt for the lights on the + cable..??
That’s interesting. Man the 24v system is so different with the lights. I posted pics above. My link wire dives back into the harness. I may unravel it to see where it goes. If yours is tied into 12v then I’m wondering why this one is not. It does not look modified. It may be tied into a positive voltage down the line somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom